"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara

Whenever I find I've undercooked my fish a little, I just put my plate in the microwave and nuke it for a minute or so as necessary. Same for steak. I like it rare, but not raw.
+1

And you can also do the fish exclusively in the microwave.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find that it's worth the time to preheat the oven and the heat generated in the kitchen to bake fish. I either grill or pan-fry them. Then I can watch the sides to see when they're cooked through, and it usually takes a lot less time.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Head Chef

I'm mostly there too, GotGarlic, but the oven does have its uses for fish, like steaming in parch/alum pouch, slow basting thick cuts, or broiling whole small fishes. When I bake fish, it looks like I'm a bit different, usually using a lower temp and longer cooking time (which gives me a larger margin for error).
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Whenever I find I've undercooked my fish a little, I just put my plate in the microwave and nuke it for a minute or so as necessary. Same for steak. I like it rare, but not raw.
Ditto! While I've never had a problem when baking in the oven, I tend to be nervous when grilling fish outdoors, so sometimes remove seafood too soon. (There's NOTHING worse than overcooked fish. It's basically inedible, & seafood is way too expensive these days to ruin.)

So if I've been a Nervous Nellie when grilling, I'll pop the subject into the microwave a nuke a minute or two. Doesn't dry the seafood out, but puts things hunky-dory.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
To learn, always best to over-cook, and then work your way down less and under-cooked for best doneness for your particular fish species.

But you can always return undercooked fish to the oven (or the microwave, which I dont usually like to do).

You can't fix overcooked protein.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
But you can always return undercooked fish to the oven (or the microwave, which I dont usually like to do).

You can't fix overcooked protein.
Exactly!! Regardless of what protein I'm cooking, I'll always err on the side of undercooking if I must. That can be remedied. Once something is overcooked, that's it. There's no remedy. Even sloshing on more sauce/gravy isn't going to save your meal - especially where seafood is involved.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Head Chef

OP wanted advice on how to prevent undercooked fish.

I suggested it'll take just a couple tries to learn for any particular species, if you work from over- downward toward the perfectly-cooked temp & time.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Tried baked cod last night. Baked at 450 for about 12 minutes. Still didn't seem long enough. Not sure when to know if fish is done. Any help would be great.

Thanks
I don't go by time as much as I do by how it is cooking. Cod is a pretty moist fish and if you are cooking at too low a temperature, it will generate a lot of juice. If you cook at too high a temperature it may scorch and yet leave it undercooked in the center. If you are like my mother and paranoid about doneness [she lived in Germany in ww II] you will overcook the fish. Trial and error all are part of the game.

Tags
fish