How often do you eat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of times a week. We fished often growing up as well; Walleye, Trout, Pan Fish, all good. I need to get out fishing this year if I can, I miss it.

Almost every day!!
Me to, I love it, occasionally I'm a good boy and have it grilled but mostly deep fried in batter. Had my cholesterol checked last week because I was eating so much of it, it was high @6.1 but all "good" cholesterol according to my doctor, must be the oil I use, we were both surprised.

Me to, I love it, occasionally I'm a good boy and have it grilled but mostly deep fried in batter. Had my cholesterol checked last week because I was eating so much of it, it was high @6.1 but all "good" cholesterol according to my doctor, must be the oil I use, we were both surprised.
Glad to hear your cholesterol levels are ok. Unfortunately, I don't use flour anymore, since I suspect that I have gluten intolerance, but I have found out that there are grains that do not contain gluten, such as teff.

Growing up poor it was fish quite often, back then it was poor folks food including carp ( which is very good baked) but now living on SS it is a rare treat to have any kind of sea food, I must git out my fishing pole and go.

I buy fish when it is on sale so I guess we don't eat it that often. I bought Tilapia and Dover Sole this week.

DH doesn't eat it, so almost never. He says make it he'll find something else to eat, but that's not how I roll..... I feel bad when I purposely leave him out.
However now that he is working nights, he doesn't eat with us Sunday night, he has to sleep, so I have been getting the kids used to eating it. They like Salmon so far, next my 8 yr old wants to try shrimp.

We eat fish or shellfish a couple of times a week. But, I will never buy tilapia, or any other seafood, from China again after reading this in National Geographic: Yellow River - National Geographic Magazine

This is a pretty good guide to making good seafood choices, unless you can catch them yourself: Monterey Bay Aquarium: Download a Regional Seafood Watch Card

Good for you, GG! WHERE your fish comes from is important information to determine whether or not it is good for YOU, and/or the environment.

I used to eat fish almost every day, but the wild, line caught product has become so expensive, I can't any more. Cooking fish and shellfish -- and teaching others how to do the same is my culinary specialty.

Wayne, you are making me laugh! How many posters here know you own and run a fish and chips shop? :LOL: I'd be eating them every day if I were you. I love the yin and yang of properly fried fish -- the outside so crispy, and the inside so soft. :chef:

I used to eat it once or twice a week when I was single. But my wife has seafood allergies, so we never keep fish at the house, and I only get to eat it when we go to a restaurant.

We eat fish or shellfish a couple of times a week. But, I will never buy tilapia, or any other seafood, from China again after reading this in National Geographic: Yellow River - National Geographic Magazine

This is a pretty good guide to making good seafood choices, unless you can catch them yourself: Monterey Bay Aquarium: Download a Regional Seafood Watch Card

hmm I don't know if the Tilapia I bought was from China. thanks for the info. I guess I won't buy it anymore.

hmm I don't know if the Tilapia I bought was from China. thanks for the info. I guess I won't buy it anymore.

My understanding is that most tilapia sold in the U.S. is from China, although there is some tilapia farmed in the U.S. that you might be able to find. I'm actually surprised you were able to find Dover sole - I thought most of that was sold to restaurants.

Check out Scene IV: Flat is Beautiful III

It might actually be flounder.

Good for you, GG! WHERE your fish comes from is important information to determine whether or not it is good for YOU, and/or the environment.

I used to eat fish almost every day, but the wild, line caught product has become so expensive, I can't any more. Cooking fish and shellfish -- and teaching others how to do the same is my culinary specialty.

According to Seafood Watch, some farmed fish is okay. Do you avoid all farmed fish? Just curious and wanting to learn more :)

My understanding is that most tilapia sold in the U.S. is from China, although there is some tilapia farmed in the U.S. that you might be able to find. I'm actually surprised you were able to find Dover sole - I thought most of that was sold to restaurants.

Check out Scene IV: Flat is Beautiful III

It might actually be flounder.

Sadly, it probably is flounder, or some lesser flatfish that is marketed as "sole," even tho it isn't, really. Doesn't mean it isn't tasty, just not sole.

REAL Dover sole costs at least $26 per pound, last time I saw any. :huh:

According to Seafood Watch, some farmed fish is okay. Do you avoid all farmed fish? Just curious and wanting to learn more :)

Pretty much, yes. It's hard to remember which is and is not okay, and most is not, anyway. I do eat farmed mussels. They are generally safe, as far as we know now.

I eat fish twice per week but could eat it a lot more often. Living in Nevada we have a large choice of Pacific fish and shellfish, but in Michigan where I spend the summer there is also a good variety of totally different fish. Michigan fish choices are Lake Perch, Trout, Lake Superior Whitefish, Salmon both farmed and Wild, smelt, cod, catfish, orange roughy, Pickeral, Walleye, Bass and all of the shellfish plus a full array of clams, mussels, oysters etc. No shortage here. Tilapia seems to be hard to get here in Michigan but it's everywhere in Nevada.

What we don't see here is Ono, Mahi Mahi, Tuna, Swordfish, and some of the more exotic species that are available on the West Coast.

I agree about not being able to find true Dover Sole. It is extremely rare and if you find it it is more likely to be flounder as someone stated in an ealier post.

Last edited:
Sadly, it probably is flounder, or some lesser flatfish that is marketed as "sole," even tho it isn't, really. Doesn't mean it isn't tasty, just not sole.

REAL Dover sole costs at least $26 per pound, last time I saw any. :huh:

if that is the case, then my supermarket is lying about it being wild caught dover sole.

Back
Top Bottom