How often do you eat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi All,
In the UK, current advice is to eat oily fish, e.g., salmon, tuna, herring and mackerel, 2 to 3 times per week. Of course, the fish need to be caught in clean and non-polluted waters where there is no risk of contamination from chemical plants or heavy metals etc.

IIRC, and I may be wrong on this, but I think that the amount advised for pregnant women is lower. Consumers in the USA can access advice and data via the FDA website and UK consumers can access data and advice via the website of the Food Standards Agency.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

I've been hearing more and more that most "fresh" fish isn't really fresh. Unless you live very near to where it was caught, it's usually frozen on the boat and then thawed before being displayed in the grocery store. So I have no problem with buying frozen fish and seafood. It's better than what I was doing - buying "fresh" fish and freezing it at home before thawing and cooking it.

I LOVE seafood and try to eat it several times a week. Salmon is at the top of my list of favorites followed closely by sea bass and snapper. I like to serve the salmon with a cucumber dill sauce on the side, it's sooo refreshing!

Catfish is pretty good if you can find the kind that's farm raised. That way you eliminate that "muddy" taste.

GotGarlic - and I don't mean this offensively at all - but the fresh/frozen seafood issue isn't news - it's been above board for many years now.

While all seafood markets have been required for, like I said, years now, to label their offerings "previously frozen", you need to trust who you're buying your fish from regardless. Around here, luckily, there are labels on all the seafood as to whether it's "fresh" or "previously frozen", as well as the relatively new ruling as to the source.

Shrimp is rarely, if ever, labeled "previously frozen", because that goes without saying unless it's "head on" shrimp, which is rare in my area except for the Asian markets.

As far as finfish, you still have to be careful about buying frozen. While quality frozen fish can be cleaned & flash-frozen right on the boat, there still remains many outlets where fish is brought in after many days, cleaned & frozen by a middleman, & shipped to retail outlets. After thawing, those fish obviously aren't any better quality than the fresh fish on the ice tray.

Again - getting to know your retailer, knowing how to select good fish, & not being afraid to ask questions is key.

Back
Top Bottom