"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 06-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #41
Sous Chef
I used to buy fish or shellfish without thinking much about it. Now I ask the source. Do I trust my market? Yes. They are generous with information.

simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #42
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We eat fish or shellfish a couple of times a week. But, I will never buy tilapia, or any other seafood, from China again after reading this in National Geographic: Yellow River - National Geographic Magazine

This is a pretty good guide to making good seafood choices, unless you can catch them yourself: Monterey Bay Aquarium: Download a Regional Seafood Watch Card
We have the same perception of Bassa from Vietnam GotGarlic where in some cases the farmers live over the ponds and all their waste, including human waste, is dumped in to the ponds. Having said that, it is not allways the case but just the thought of it is enough. I to will not buy seafood, especially prawns [shrimp] from China, mainly because of toxin levels but as June says, the cost of the local product is becoming out of reach for most people with the Chinese product selling at about 1/2 the price.

The problem we have is that the Seafood Importing Industry, like must other Industries now, is self regulating and very few random checks are done which means that the importer has to gaurantee the product. You may correctly assume that he is not about to disclose anything detrimental to his business as he has a very slim chance of getting caught out.

One product that I use, because I have no other choice, is "wild caught New Zealand Squid" which also carries the label "product of China" so I'm guessing it should be OK

You people must tell me about Tilapia, we do not import the fillets and the fish is deemed to be noxious here so live fish are banned but I guess it would be something like Snapper or Bream??

We are happy little Vegemites, happy as can be
attie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #43
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
I could eat fish at least three times a week - DH doesn't really care for it. Living in Mi., we don't have a lot of choices. They have fresh wild Cod on sale for $6.99 lb - is that a decent price ?
Thanks all !
Hi Barb L.,

How often do I eat fish?

I love it and lust after it and eat, as often as I can, the riches of the sea.

archiduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
we eat fish about once a week. it's usually sushi or sashimi, but we also like certain fishes baked, poached, or pan seared, such as trout, grey sole, and ahi tuna, respectively.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #45
Head Chef
I have to confess, that apart from salmon I am not good with cooking fish. I like fish but only filleted, I'm terrible with fish bones. I'm also not keen on fish skin. I think I'm unusual in not really being keen on tuna steaks or monkfish too. I love mussels and ave been craving them, can't wait till they are back in season.

A fish I used to love, but can't get in Europe now is Orange roughy. I miss that!

Now that I barely cook for myself during the week time I noice I'm eating less and less fish. when I do its mainly salmon because its so easy to cook well. smoked salmon is nice, smoked trout nicer and I love ot smoked fish too.

I've eating fish twice this week, and it used to be a minimum of weekly, bu now its more like twice a month. shameful!
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #46
Assistant Cook
Send a message via MSN to Zooy
Living on the shores of Lake Huron I'm spoiled with fish. But we only eat it once a week and usually its a frozen fish. But if I'm feeling "fishy" I'll go to the fish store about 10 minutes away and get smoked white fish or some fresh fish.
Zooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #47
we eat fish maybe 4 times per week, sometimes more. We live by the sea and it also helps that my little daughter eats fish better than meat!!!. She is like a cat....
My Cooking.....
Nat2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #48
Executive Chef
I love fish. Would probably eat it 3-4 times a week if I went and caught it myself. But I'm down to about 1ce
a week.
I just tries catfish, blackened, on Tuesday night, at a local restaurant. Never had catfish due to all the yik stories about it. But I was talked into ordering it, and it was sooooooo good!
LUCKY ME! Give me more!!!
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #49
Master Chef
Simple, hibachi grilled salmon fillet for me this evening. I do fish at least once a week on average.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #50
Master Chef
But, in addition, if I can afford it, I would go out once a week for sushi. We go out for sushi in nearby Little Tokyo about once a month now...

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote