"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Searing does not seal in juices-- that's a kitchen myth -- but still is a good method of cooking fish and other proteins.
Beg to differ.....Searing the outer flesh creates a crust, holding in the juices. Not sure where you got your information from, but searing to hold in juices is most asuredly not a myth.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Beg to differ.....Searing the outer flesh creates a crust, holding in the juices. Not sure where you got your information from, but searing to hold in juices is most asuredly not a myth.
Alton Brown did an experiment and his conclusion was that it is a myth: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Seaso...h_smashers.htm

Old 02-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

hmm...didn't know that its regarded as a kitchen myth!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Alton Brown did an experiment and his conclusion was that it is a myth: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Seaso...h_smashers.htm
Alton Brown is not the be all and end all of cooking. I trust what I do in my own kitchens, day in and day out. It hasn't disappointed me, yet.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

the way that i've heard it, searing helps to hold in juices by driving them inward, not really from forming a seal on the surface.

it makes sense that by heating meat, you're agitating the molecules of moisture which makes them move. i'd guess some inward, some outward.

in accordance with alton's (faulty) experiment, some of the moisture near the surface is lost, but then some of it would be driven deeper too, right? so searing does work, but not the way commonly thought.

or i could be wrong.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Alton Brown is not the be all and end all of cooking. I trust what I do in my own kitchens, day in and day out. It hasn't disappointed me, yet.
No, of course not. He's not the only one who has debunked this myth, though. I don't know what you would consider an authority, so here are a couple of sources:
Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

yes its confusing for me today too...before have heard from quite a few that searing before oven seals in the moisture.

how long do you usually put a fish pieces of say around 300grms to 400grms about 1.5cm to 2cm thick in an oven? And how hot in the oven? ( if there is searing and if there is no searing)
Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the way that i've heard it, searing helps to hold in juices by driving them inward, not really from forming a seal on the surface.
That is the way I heard it as well. It does not seal in the juices, it helps to seal in the juices. For me this means it slows down how fast the juices exit allowing you to get it cooked with more juices left in it at the end.

But mostly its the taste!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Hi All,
This thread seem to have have developed somewhat. Is it about cooking fish or is it about browning or is it about both?

First, browning - browning is a PROCESS which, when applied to meat. fish, poultry, game and bread, results in the MAILLARD reaction. This is a reaction between the natural sugars present and the proteins, which on the addition of heat result in a browned exterior.

This result may be achieved by:
- sautéeing at high heat - e.g. browning chicken for Chicken Marengo or a Venison Braise;
- grilling or broiling - e.g., cooking a Dover Sole;
- deep fat frying - e.g., dipping whitebait in flour and frying;
- roasting - e.g., roasting a forerib of beef;
- searing a joint - e.g., leg of lamb prior to raosting or slow roasting;
- stir-fry - e.g., beef with asparagus, ginger and spring onion.

If, after browning, liquid is added, as is the case in Boeuf Bourguinonne, the "crust" achieved in browning dissolves over time to colour and/or thicken the dish.

Now, one final way of achiveing a dish that is in appearance is brown is by "red cooking", ie., cooking in soy sauce.

The original question was about cooking fish in the oven and achieving a "browned" result at the end of the cooking process.The muscle fibres of fish are very short and cook very quickly in comparison with those of all but the most tender of cuts of meat, e.g., filet mignon, fillet steak. In addition, there is vey little connective tissue in fish, unlike most meat cuts, which means that the fish will fall apart/dry out very quickly if overcooked. Consequently individual portions of fish should be browned, quickly using the skin as the medium/vehicle/part which is to be browned by pan frying before finishing either in the oven or on a reduced heat if using the top of the stove/cooker.

I think we need to know more about what DISH Cookee is trying to create. I appreciate that Cookee has mentioned specific weights/sizes etc., but if I go back to the previous page I`ll lose all that I`ve written thus far - I know this because I`ve done it twice already. It is possible that the recipe that Cookee is trying to make would be improved if it was not browned but finsihed with brown butter/beuree noisette just before serving.

OK, I appreciate that I`ve probably not answered anyone`s question(s) but I would like to hear from Cookee again regarding what dish are you wanting to make - is it for a commercial kitchen or a domestic situation. There is a bit of me that says the answer is much more simple than the original question.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Archiduc
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

hi .... i am trying to bake fish fillet pieces salmon and pollock in the oven but it always turns out dry. Have tried searing it on both sides before baking but still not too good.

but maybe my searing isn't done well enough.....

will be trying out some of the suggestions here soon. Its a domestic situation.

Tags
None