"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #31
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestLyman View Post
If you want to bake medallions of fish bacon is your friend. You can wrap several thin fillets together and the hot fat really helps it retain the moisture.
Lots of folks want to eat fish because it's NOT fat, and bacon defeats that purpose. As well, many folks have religious objections to eating bacon, so that won't work for everyone.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm curious: do any of the pros use a broiler or salamander? no one except me has recommended that. i prefer my thicker hunks of fish, topped with butter, this way.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm curious: do any of the pros use a broiler or salamander? no one except me has recommended that. i prefer my thicker hunks of fish, topped with butter, this way.
sure they do! Salamanders are great for cooking fish! wish they were available to the home cook. I tend to use my broiler more for the thin fillets, when I'm doing a "no fat thing."
Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks chefjune.

hey, i just remembered a recipe of yours that'd help here. i still have it in my "to make soon" list.

what type of fish was that that you use in your falafel crusted fish? lemme go search for your post.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Another way - take a cookie sheet with sides and place in a preheated 350 degree oven and let heat for 30 minutes. Have your filets ready to "go" i.e., egged, floured, and bread crumbed, seasoning all, of course. Let fish rest for about 10 or so minutes. Once pan is hot remove carefully, give a couple swirls with olive oil to create a surface to "fry" on. Place fish on (it should sizzle) and place back in oven for about 30 minutes or so.

Now, depending on the thickness of your fish you'll have to take it from here.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookee View Post
yes its confusing for me today too...before have heard from quite a few that searing before oven seals in the moisture.
People repeat myths for eons - that doesn't make them true. Lots of people - probably most - still think mayonnaise makes food go bad faster, or that using a plastic cutting board is safer than using a wooden one, or that taking meat out to bring it to room temp makes it cook faster (does it make up for the time it takes to bring to room temp?). Ya gotta work those critical thinking skills
Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

umm, gg, mayo does go bad quickly. and plastic boards can be cleaned better.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
People repeat myths for eons - that doesn't make them true. Lots of people - probably most - still think mayonnaise makes food go bad faster, or that using a plastic cutting board is safer than using a wooden one, or that taking meat out to bring it to room temp makes it cook faster (does it make up for the time it takes to bring to room temp?). Ya gotta work those critical thinking skills
those aren't myths, GG! except that taking meat out to bring it to room temp doesnt make it cook faster, it makes it cook more evenly.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
umm, gg, mayo does go bad quickly. and plastic boards can be cleaned better.
Umm, sorry, BT, those are myths. Please don't make me post these again, or I'll have to find a woodshed of my own.

Check out Myth #15: Food Myths

From UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research :

"We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts."
Old 02-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

well, the problem with their myth busting lies in that they "manually cleaned" their boards. the beauty of plastic is that it can be put in a dishwasher and (mostly) disinfected, whereas a wooden board would swell and split under such harsh conditions and become useless. i've done both.

Tags
None