"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuijt View Post
same as the other basses..not to long, so they are to dry
Can they be a bass? They are vegetarian and don't bite or fight like a bass. Their body shape is also more Whiting.
Chau,
Marty

Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
Master Chef

Actually, Tilapia aren't bass. They're members of the Cichlid family, most members of which are known to us in the U.S. primarily as pet tropical fish (Oscars, Fire-Mouths, Convicts, etc., etc.). In their countries of origin, many of these are considered food fish.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Actually, Tilapia aren't bass. They're members of the Cichlid family, most members of which are known to us in the U.S. primarily as pet tropical fish (Oscars, Fire-Mouths, Convicts, etc., etc.). In their countries of origin, many of these are considered food fish.
You are al right, i means: you can cook it as a bass.

www.filleting-fish.com
Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuijt View Post
You are al right, i means: you can cook it as a bass.

www.filleting-fish.com
Point well taken. It is a good eating fish. But a bass it ain't.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

kuijt never said they were a bass he just said you cook them the same way you would cook a bass. I just found this site cause i got a couple whole tilapia from the asian market a few days ago. i stuffed the cavity with slices of lime, ginger, onion, minced garlic & chopped up cilantro leaves. I cut 3 slits on each side & put some salt & pepper squeezed a little lime juice over the outside of the fish. I also put lime, ginger, garlic, onion, cilantro around each fish & wrapped each one in a banana leaf & loosely tied the top together. then i grilled them till the banana leaf was browned ~ 15 min. I don't really even like fish ( i just made it for the rest of my family) but even i thought this was really good.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
Master Chef

I had it deep fried in a restaurant once. It wasn't the best way I've ever had talapia, but the look on my companions face when they stuck a whole fish in front of her was priceless!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I really like fish like this (pompano, pomfret, etc.) deep fried Asian style. You cut off any fins, leave the head and tail on, slash each side diagonally about an inch between slices and going down to the rib bones (or the fish will distort as it cooks), then dip in flour and deep fry until skin is golden brown and the meat flakes easily, drain oil on paper towels. Then serve with a sauce over. I prefer Thai curry topping although sweet 'n sour (with onions, pineapple and bell pepper) is good too. You could use almost any kind of topping that you like.

I should point out that the skin comes out nice and crispy and you're supposed to eat it. If you don't like the idea of eating the skin then this method of preparation would not be good for you.

Alternatively I'd suggest baking whole fishes. Grilling might be interesting too although I haven't done it.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I really enjoy barbecueing my whole fishes on a plank these days. We have lots of Sargento Bass and Corvina here in Panamá.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I really like fish like this (pompano, pomfret, etc.) deep fried Asian style. You cut off any fins, leave the head and tail on, slash each side diagonally about an inch between slices and going down to the rib bones (or the fish will distort as it cooks), then dip in flour and deep fry until skin is golden brown and the meat flakes easily, drain oil on paper towels. Then serve with a sauce over. I prefer Thai curry topping although sweet 'n sour (with onions, pineapple and bell pepper) is good too. You could use almost any kind of topping that you like.

I should point out that the skin comes out nice and crispy and you're supposed to eat it. If you don't like the idea of eating the skin then this method of preparation would not be good for you.

Alternatively I'd suggest baking whole fishes. Grilling might be interesting too although I haven't done it.
I agree that your method is fantastic for fish. Leaving the head on really alters the flavor. I tried a side-by-side test one time and the fish with the head on tasted much better. The fats in the head boil out and into the body, flavoring the meat. The skin is very rich in fish oil also. Very good for you!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Oh, absolutely, Timothy: there is a gel in the head and cheecks that just enhances the flavor ot the whole fish.

Tags
fish tilapia whole head