"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Senior Cook

How to eat sardines?

Hello Everyone. I have never cooked or eaten fresh sardines and I am wondering about how to actually eat them, especially with the bones in. I am thinking of grilling them and I wondered if you can eat the bones or whether I should scrape the flesh from the bones?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Executive Chef

If you like Sardines, you can eat them almost any way. I eat the bones. Just chew them down. Normally, I just eat them in a sandwich with onions and mayo but there are many ways to enjoy them...13 Things to Do With Canned Sardines - Chowhound

Old 04-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I am planning on cooking them fresh though. I wondered if canning softens the bones. If I buy them fresh from the fishmonger and grill them, I am unsure if the bones will be as soft.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Senior Cook

There were fresh sardines in the Cora in France but never got around to buying any. I googled recipes and the first one looked at was NY Times recipe and one I'd do. One flakes the meat away from the skeleton like a trout. I've not seen fresh sardines in the Pac NW but will ask the fishmonger next time I go.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Head Chef

I had them in Italy once as part of a frutti di mare tower. They were whole, battered very lightly in a tempura-like batter and fried. Don't remember that meal very fondly or frankly very much at all because I got a killer migraine very, very shortly after dinner.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthseaxa View Post
Hello Everyone. I have never cooked or eaten fresh sardines and I am wondering about how to actually eat them, especially with the bones in. I am thinking of grilling them and I wondered if you can eat the bones or whether I should scrape the flesh from the bones?
The ones in the can are usually very small and the bones haven't fully developed, so the full fish is edible. You can't eat the bones of full grown fresh sardines, though. Here are several methods for cleaning them. I prefer methods 2 and 3 myself for most kinds of fresh fish. I've never done a butterfly cut like the last example shows, but go for it if you're comfortable.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
Master Chef

We had them in a wonderful outdoor cafe in Portugal. We enjoyed them very much and yes, you need to bone them if they've been cooked whole. I'm good at doing that so I boned them at the table for both of us. My husband, SousChef will post a picture of the meal.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Sardines in Portugal

The cafe was quite a find, as we met an expatriate who said it was the best restaurant in town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6020538.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	24616  
Old 04-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The ones in the can are usually very small and the bones haven't fully developed, so the full fish is edible. You can't eat the bones of full grown fresh sardines, though. Here are several methods for cleaning them. I prefer methods 2 and 3 myself for most kinds of fresh fish. I've never done a butterfly cut like the last example shows, but go for it if you're comfortable.

I had a landlady that just loved fresh sardines. She just didn't like to clean them. She would buy a big sack of them and bring them to me to clean and filet. I used methods two and three. If there were really a lot, I would just cut the heads and tails off. Then split and but. Depending on the size of them. The one thing she did do before I got them was to scrape off all the scales. But I did have to show her how. She watched me the first time. When it came to gutting them, she headed for my bathroom right quick.

My husband also loved sardines and he is the one who taught me how to clean and filet them.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Master Chef

I have only had them fried on Christmas Eve. The best ones I've had were dusted in seasoned pancake flour and shallow fried in a wide deep frying pan until they were golden and crisp. I didn't eat the bones. When the sardine is fried you can use your fork to fillet the sardine as you eat it.

Tags
how to, other, sardine