How to make Sushi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree. Rice vinegars are made from fermented rice. Rice wine vinegars are generally made from the lees (dregs) of wine.

Aware me!

Everything I read says they are the same and the same Kikomann bottle comes up for both.I'd like to know more.

I often don't have any rice wine vinegar and instead use a blend of white wine and white vinegar as a substitute. Rice wine vinegar is less acidic than white vinegar and so the white wine provides a pretty good facsimile.

I like sushi, I have also made it. My problem is its nearly impossible here to get sushi grade tuna so like others here I like to eat sushi in a restaurant.
I also like eating "raw" fish that has been "cooked" in lime juice:)

It seems likely to me that they would be the same. What do you get when you ferment rice? Don't you get rice wine? Though I'm not clear on why it is wine when it is made from a grain. Why isn't it rice beer?

When we make spicey tuna rolls, we spend the money on quality sushi grade tuna from Fresh Market or Whole Foods. We prefer a loin cut, using left overs for tataki or seared. IMO, freezing destroys the texture. Kimchi base is used instead of wasabi in the rolls as well.

For the sushi rice we use a combination of mirin, rice vinegar and sugar. The "fanning" work-out to cool the rice can be quite intense.:)

Craig

IMO, freezing destroys the texture.
If I am not mistaken, it is a requirement that restaurants freeze certain fish (tuna and salmon are among those I think) at a certain temp for a certain time before it can be served raw to the public.

If I am not mistaken, it is a requirement that restaurants freeze certain fish (tuna and salmon are among those I think) at a certain temp for a certain time before it can be served raw to the public.

In most seafood markets I've been in, they generally state, on a sign if an item has been previously frozen. As an example with shrimp I see "Farm raised, previously frozen" vs " Wild caught, never frozen". What about oysters or clams? If what you say about restaurants is true with seafood markets, then I've been duped for years!:mad:

Craig

I just did a quick Google and what I read is second hand from the FDA, but what it basically says is that freezing is recommended. So I think I may have been wrong that it is law, although it could be law for restaurants and just recommended for fish mongers to the public.

The only concern any inspectors have is referred to as the parasite destruction guarantee, which is accomplished by 'freezing and storing seafood at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours' which is sufficient to kill parasites. The FDA's Food Code recommends these freezing conditions to retailers who provide fish intended for raw consumption (for further information, please visit the FDA website).

I got that quote from here and they supposedly got it from the FDA website.

I'd really hate to think that what I have been buying as "fresh" was actually thawed out and put in the case.

Craig

For me, it's sitting at the sushi bar and bs'ing with the sushi chef.
Eating sushi at home just isn't the same.
I don't begrudge anyone at all for wanting to attempt it at home, but I consider it over my head and I've been eating sushi for 10 years. Sushi is what we eat when we want to go out and relax and enjoy some saki. ;)

If it looks and tastes good, who cares if it was frozen? The best, most fresh, fish you can get is one you catch and fillet yourself.;):)

Back
Top Bottom