"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If I am not mistaken, it is a requirement that restaurants freeze certain fish (tuna and salmon are among those I think) at a certain temp for a certain time before it can be served raw to the public.
In most seafood markets I've been in, they generally state, on a sign if an item has been previously frozen. As an example with shrimp I see "Farm raised, previously frozen" vs " Wild caught, never frozen". What about oysters or clams? If what you say about restaurants is true with seafood markets, then I've been duped for years!

Craig

Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

I just did a quick Google and what I read is second hand from the FDA, but what it basically says is that freezing is recommended. So I think I may have been wrong that it is law, although it could be law for restaurants and just recommended for fish mongers to the public.

Quote:
The only concern any inspectors have is referred to as the parasite destruction guarantee, which is accomplished by 'freezing and storing seafood at -4F (-20C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31F (-35C) or below until solid and storing at -31F (-35C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31F (-35C) or below until solid and storing at -4F (-20C) or below for 24 hours' which is sufficient to kill parasites. The FDA's Food Code recommends these freezing conditions to retailers who provide fish intended for raw consumption (for further information, please visit the FDA website).

I got that quote from here and they supposedly got it from the FDA website.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #33
Executive Chef

I'd really hate to think that what I have been buying as "fresh" was actually thawed out and put in the case.

Craig
Old 01-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #34
Head Chef

Ask at your market. Lots of fish is flash frozen right on the boat to ensure that it is fresh.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
For me, it's sitting at the sushi bar and bs'ing with the sushi chef.
Eating sushi at home just isn't the same.
I don't begrudge anyone at all for wanting to attempt it at home, but I consider it over my head and I've been eating sushi for 10 years. Sushi is what we eat when we want to go out and relax and enjoy some saki.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #36
Senior Cook

If it looks and tastes good, who cares if it was frozen? The best, most fresh, fish you can get is one you catch and fillet yourself.

Tags
other