How to make Sushi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.mom

Senior Cook
I have read so much articles about suchi. I think I would never eat raw fish but then my husband tried it in a japanese restaurant and he found it great. The problem is he is always asking for it and I have no clue how to do it. Does anyone know how to make suchi?:):):)

Sushi actually does not even have to have fish in it. Sushi refers to the rice. Sushi rice is a short grain rice that is sweetened and also had vinegar in it. often times there is raw (or cooked) fish involved, but that is not a requirement. You can use veggies or even fruit as well. I do not have any specific recipes as there are so many, but search around and you are sure to fine tons.

You cannot just use raw fish from the supermarket.It would be dangerous to do so.Sushi restaurants freeze the portions for several days at low temp to kill any parasites and then thaw.

http://www.sushifaq.com/ffaq.htm

Tuna can sometimes be found as sushi or sashimi grade but you will pay a price still have only one kind of fish.

We make alot of sushi at home but none of it is raw.

make your rice according to a sushi rice recipe.

We roll our sushi on a quart size zip=lock baggie since I don't have a mat and it works just fine.

See you-tube videos for technique and rice quantity.

http://video.about.com/japanesefood/Prepare-Perfect-Sushi-Rice.htm

Some ofthe ingredients we mix for home sushi are;
(for spicy roll)
Cooked shrimp chopped with some sri hacha chili sauce.
(for creamy roll)
Cooked shrimp chopped fine add a little mayo,splenda,soy
(cali roll)
Fake crab legs,avacado, cucumber,sesame seeds.
(cut cucumber to same length as nori wrapper)
(can roll on either side of nori with rice applied)
(philly roll)
smoked salmon and a little cream cheese can add a green onion too.

Other ingredients to try too.
sweet omelette
whole cooked shrimp
lemon
sprouts
cooked salmon or any fish
julienne carrot,green onion,daikon

Anything really!

I always make these mussles with sushi dinner too.
Frozen on the half shell mussles.(green lip)thawed.
(for the sauce)
mayo,soy,splenda,little sri hacha chili sauce.

Mix and put about 3/4 tsp on each mussle and then 1 drop sri hacha on top for garnish.

broil until bubbly and brown.

Last edited:
I make sushi regularly. You can buy a rolling mat for about a buck at an oriental grocery - perhaps even at your local food market. Get one or get two or three and invite your friends over for a sushi making party..

The most commonly found sushi is a roll. Seasoned rice rolled up in a laver (seaweed) sheet and stuffed with some interesting goodies in the center. Sushi can also be made without rolling. Sushi Rice can be patted out into a layer with layers of interesting fillings added and then topped with more rice and cut into bite sized squares. You can make sushi into all kinds of shapes - it's fun to do.

The rice is the most important part of the sushi process. You need a short grain rice (like calrose) and smaller grains are better that larger ones. Products labeled Sushi Rice are usually very small short grained (smaller than calrose) varieties. The rice is cooked so that it still has some 'tooth' to it when you bite and then once cooked, dumped into a bowl to cool and flavor. Drizzle seasoning mix over the rice and fold and sir it in until the seasoning is absorbed and coats every grain. Don't crush or mash the rice. This mixture must be cool-ish to make sushi.

Here's my rice recipe:

Cook in rice cooker:
2 cups rinsed sushi rice
2 cups Water
Make seasoning and add after rice is cooked:
4 T Rice Vinegar
3 T Sugar
1/2 (maybe a bit more) tsp Salt​

I make sushi regularly. You can buy a rolling mat for about a buck at an oriental grocery - perhaps even at your local food market. Get one or get two or three and invite your friends over for a sushi making party..

The most commonly found sushi is a roll. Seasoned rice rolled up in a laver (seaweed) sheet and stuffed with some interesting goodies in the center. Sushi can also be made without rolling. Sushi Rice can be patted out into a layer with layers of interesting fillings added and then topped with more rice and cut into bite sized squares. You can make sushi into all kinds of shapes - it's fun to do.

The rice is the most important part of the sushi process. You need a short grain rice (like calrose) and smaller grains are better that larger ones. Products labeled Sushi Rice are usually very small short grained (smaller than calrose) varieties. The rice is cooked so that it still has some 'tooth' to it when you bite and then once cooked, dumped into a bowl to cool and flavor. Drizzle seasoning mix over the rice and fold and sir it in until the seasoning is absorbed and coats every grain. Don't crush or mash the rice. This mixture must be cool-ish to make sushi.

Here's my rice recipe:

Cook in rice cooker:
2 cups rinsed sushi rice
2 cups Water
Make seasoning and add after rice is cooked:
4 T Rice Vinegar
3 T Sugar
1/2 (maybe a bit more) tsp Salt
Thank you Janet. I'm going to try your recipe and tell you how it turned out.:cool:

I use Botan Calrose Rice and it works just fine. As others have already said, do not bother with raw fish until you really know what you're doing. I haven't bothered to make it since a sushi restaurant opened up near me that has reasonable prices. But over the many moons I've introduced a lot of people to sushi, always starting with cooked ingredients or vegetable sushi (cucumber, green onion, and avocado, in combination or individual are classic). Most have loved it and eventually moved on to being more adventurous. Our local place actually has something I'd recommended to restaurateurs over the years, that is to say a beginner's menu. They don't call it that, just a "no raw fish" section.

BTW, my dad, who has held strong to his opinion that he hates rice, LOVES sushi. Go Figger.

This is a great thread, very helpful & informative. This is a dipping sauce I use with tuna coated with sesame seeds & cracked pepper, but you could use it with sushi applications.

Tim Abbott

[FONT=&quot]Short ¼ cup Ponzu Sauce by Kikkoman
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4-5 dash of Worchester sauce & balsamic vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-2 tblspn toasted sesame oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 big clove minced garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]zest & juice of ½ lime[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]wasibi paste to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Optional: fresh basil, lemon basil or tarragon[/FONT]

My kids and I enjoy sushi in and out. When we make it at home, we'll take a tuna steak and sear it quickly and get about 1/8" cooked around the entire steak cooked and the rest is rare/raw. I'll cut that up into strips, add red pepper and cucumber and roll with rice and nori. My youngest likes the fake crab, so I'll roll those and if I run out of tuna, I'll roll with just the veges. I'm also a big fan of the pickled ginger, soy, and wasabi. (I mix in some siracha with my soy).

Plenty of good advis here. But what I wonder is where do you live? Becaus esushi seems to be a staple in many American homes nowadays. The way you asked the question, it seems that your husband only now/recently have tried sushi or am I mistaken?

So I've been wanting to start making sushi, and I stumbled across this page

The Sushi FAQ - How to Make Sushi Rice at Home

It specifies rice wine vinegar, and I found another page explaining the difference. Anyone know why this is important? My local asian markets dont have very good selections, and all I could find was rice vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom