How to prepare live lobsters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks kads. :)

lol, gb. i don't know about how dingy the places were, but the best lobster is truely from those little shacks along the new england coast.

best lobster roll: the clam shack in kennebunkport. :chef:

The Clam Shack - On The Bridge, Kennebunkport Maine

i have a great cookbook exactly on this topic:

books

What a neat picture. I love that footbridge coming off the floating dock.

i have an extra little tip take all the legs and use a rolling pin on them and sqweeze the mneat out that way very easy and it adds up to a lot of extra meat you may normally miss

The best lobster on the deck at Barnacle Billy's in Perkins Cove, Ogunquit

Iget to eat there next week!

now.jpg
Barnacle Billy's is one of my favorites too Jenny!!! I love walking down the Marginal Way to get there.

Here is one of my favorite shots I took in Perkins Cove.

img_1015060_1_83dbdbf68ea99f14944315935175e0aa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to Ogunquit, ME last summer and took a walk along the Marginal Way, a scenic path along the ocean. Being very thirsty and hungry when we got to the end, we stopped at the first restaurant off the Way. Turns out it was Jackie's Too. I had a very good lobster roll there. I guess we'll try Billy's on our next visit later this summer.

The first photo is of the Marginal Way and the second is the view from the restaurant.

Attachments

• DSC00969.jpg
    DSC00969.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00997.jpg
    DSC00997.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 163
Thank you pacanis....and ohhhh, how we loved Ogonquit when we were there years ago....and yes, eating right at a lobster shack right on the water is wonderful!!!!!!

>>Someone mentioned doing frozen tails.....

very interesting video on the grilling. I am personally much more of a purist when it comes to seafood., especially the high dollar stuff like lobster and conch - if one needs that much dressing up ,,,,,

for frozen tails, I do them broiled - and perhaps a bit off the wall from convention.

first - thaw them thoroughly. gettting larger tail cooked thru evenly is sufficiently tricky without having to deal with half frozen stuff.

next, I use kitchen shears to completely remove the belly of the tail - snip down each side, then across the tail end, remove the undershell.

gentle pry the whole tail out of the shell.
salt/pepper/lemon or lime juice/soak in clam juice/butter/etc/ect - ie season as you like - there's a few zillions ways.....

crank up the broiler - put the tail back in the shell - meat side up - I use a cooling rack - insert the tail 'fins' into a slot to pin the tail flat.

the 'no undershell' makes for really easy eating, especially as the tail meat has be "pre-extracted" - so nothing going flying across the room when the 'stuck' part breaks free....

very interesting video on the grilling. I am personally much more of a purist when it comes to seafood., especially the high dollar stuff like lobster and conch - if one needs that much dressing up ,,,,,

If you need that much "dressing up" what? You might as well be taking the meat out of the shell using kitchen shears and using "salt/pepper/lemon or lime juice/soak in clam juice/butter/etc/ect - ie season as you like - there's a few zillions ways....." to cook it? :rolleyes:

If you need that much "dressing up" what? You might as well be taking the meat out of the shell using kitchen shears and using "salt/pepper/lemon or lime juice/soak in clam juice/butter/etc/ect - ie season as you like - there's a few zillions ways....." to cook it? :rolleyes:
I'm sure you know what you mean, but I'm completely lost on the above.

That's OK, dc. You lost me on how your way was the purist's way. Unless you meant you were opposed to using a grill in any way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom