"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to prepare live lobsters.

What do i do to them prior to cooking in salted boiling water?

Once shelled is all the flesh edible including from the head?

I'm using them for lobster salad.

thanks

Old 06-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Master Chef

Most people eat just the meat from the tail and claws. I eat the bits from the head but I also suck out the head when I eat prawns..lol! Unless you like that sort of thing and most people don't just go for the "white meat"

Old 06-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Some people will just boil the lobster as is. Some more religious people would punkture a whole in the head of the lobster before cooking as it is prohibited to cook live animal.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Master Chef

How fortuitous - I'm making lobster tonight as well, although we'll be enjoying them boiled & then served with melted lemon butter (& corn on the cob + a green salad).

I've been cooking live lobsters for over 35 years now, & it's simplicity itself. Just bring a pot large enough to hold the lobsters (or at least able to do one at a time) to a boil. No salt is necessary - the lobsters have enough salt on their own). Then just pop them in (they'll expire nearly immediately - no need to mourn) & depending on size, cook them for 15-20 minutes (which works for the normal-sized 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounders). Remove & allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before splitting to eat hot; or to pick for salad or to pop into the fridge to pick out another day.

As far as what's edible - EVERYTHING!! Except for the gills, also known as "dead man's fingers", which are easy to spot as fibrous & fingerlike & nothing you'd want to eat anyway. They're not poisonous or anything, just not pleasant. But everything else in a lobster is edible - & DELICIOUS!!! We suck the meat out of the legs, & pick the meat out of the body, which, by the way is identical to lump crab meat in a well-filled lobster. (I really pity the folks that just toss the body out without realizing this.) The "green stuff" - aka "liver" or "tomalley" is also sweet & delicious, but some folks pass on it because as the liver, it will also contain any contaminants that may be present. And the "red/orange stuff", if present in a female, is the roe or eggs, & that's a true delicacy for many - myself included.

If you're still not interested in picking out the body (again - a real shame), you can pop it into the freezer & use it at a later time to make a wonderful lobster or seafood stock.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Do you pierce the bowel area to drain off any urine prior to cooking ?

On male lobsters do they have visibe penises ? I'm not too keen on eating this.

Do you gut them like you would with a king prawn ? ie slitting along the back and removing the black stringy yucky stuff ?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Some people will just boil the lobster as is. Some more religious people would punkture a whole in the head of the lobster before cooking as it is prohibited to cook live animal.
Where is it prohibited? Crabs are boiled/steamed live, crawfish are boiled live, clams and mussels are cooked live. Oysters are also cooked live sometimes. What religion prohibits this or are you saying there is a real law in effect?

Craig
Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Where is it prohibited? Crabs are boiled/steamed live, crawfish are boiled live, clams and mussels are cooked live. Oysters are also cooked live sometimes. What religion prohibits this or are you saying there is a real law in effect?

Craig
Why not just Google the question?

Taboo food and drink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Someone else put that statement forward. Why should I look it up, as I believe, unless it is some religious stigma, it is incorrect. Besides, I don't consider wikipedia a reliable source.

Craig
Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc2020 View Post
Do you pierce the bowel area to drain off any urine prior to cooking ?

On male lobsters do they have visibe penises ? I'm not too keen on eating this.

Do you gut them like you would with a king prawn ? ie slitting along the back and removing the black stringy yucky stuff ?
In answer to your 3 questions:

1) No.

2) No.

3) It's up to personal preference. Frankly, I've yet to come across a lobster with a "black stringy yucky stuff" - aka intestinal string - that was visible enough to be worth removing.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Someone else put that statement forward. Why should I look it up, as I believe, unless it is some religious stigma, it is incorrect. Besides, I don't consider wikipedia a reliable source.

Craig

Since Charlie mentioned "Some more religious people" I think it was indicative of a religious prohibition.

Tags
None