How would you cook this crab cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I have an idea of a crab cake variation but can't figure out how to cook it without destroying the presentation.

Basically it would be a crab cake with a ring mold of fingerling potato scales. :chef:

I was thinking about pan basting with some hot evoo/butter combo.

Any ideas?

:chef:sounds like a challenge-a good one...Are you going to finish it ring-moled in the oven?

could you bake it first just a little in a english muffin mold to set the potatoes, then fry?
or maybe the other way around?

cleaned out tuna cans work too, take the bottom part off.

I wanted to cook it with the potatoes on so it kind of melds together. I mean, I don't want it to look like I slapped some potato slices on the side of a crab cake.

I would like the top and sides to be browned just a tad.

Suzie, you mean to place a ring of potato inside say a tuna can, bake for a bit, then put the crab mixture inside?

Do you think it would get messed up trying to remove the can?

yep that was my thought anyway.
maybe spray some pam in there, get the potatoes to stay on the sides with foil or parchment.... then the parchment can be made smaller to get the tater out easily?

Butter the inside of the can real well and be careful removing it and you should be fine.

I have an idea of a crab cake variation but can't figure out how to cook it without destroying the presentation.

Basically it would be a crab cake with a ring mold of fingerling potato scales. :chef:

I was thinking about pan basting with some hot evoo/butter combo.

Any ideas?

Hmmm. The closest to potato scales I can think of are hasselback potatoes.

Food - Baked Hasselback Potatoes - CottageLiving.com

Perhaps serve them in a ring around the cakes. It's an idea to play with.

Last edited:
Amy, it would be thin slices like in the pic. One layer all the way around the side of a crab cake.

489584.JPG

Another question. What could I combine together to make a faux crab cake mixture so I don't have to waste lump crab meat experimenting? I'm not going to eat it, just test out some of the cooking methods.

Try blanching the potato slices then lining the sides of the ring mold. Fill with the crab mix and top with more potato slices. Bake 'til cooked, remove the ring and broil to brown the potato.

Try blanching the potato slices then lining the sides of the ring mold. Fill with the crab mix and top with more potato slices. Bake 'til cooked, remove the ring and broil to brown the potato.

Hmmm....I like the blanching idea.

Any ideas for an experimental mixture?

yeah those.....
or heck just use the tuna from the cans?
I'm getting hungry and skipped breakfast......

Hmmm....I like the blanching idea.

Any ideas for an experimental mixture?

I'm still working on my perfect mix. There are many on this site.

You might want to brush the potatoes with melted butter to assist in browning/crisping.

I'm still working on my perfect mix. There are many on this site.

You might want to brush the potatoes with melted butter to assist in browning/crisping.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the actual crab cake mixture. Potatoes are cheap, crab is not. I'm looking for some sort of mixture I can use to experiment with the potatoes. Something that resembles and cooks like raw crab cake mixture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom