"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by masteraznchefjr View Post
I bought some shark meat and need some tips on cooking it. When I cook it, it turns into overcooked tuna texture. Any idea of how to make this very tender and soft?
I don't eat much shark also, for reasons quietly unsaid through this thread (a credit to DC's broad membership of tolerance). But I do like it. It cooks super quick. You can stew/braise it like cioppino for an hour because it holds its shape well. But otherwise the meat needs to be sealed somehow, such as Goodweed's suggestion of an oven paillon. I've had some success with treating - thresher fillets - as japanese tonkatsu, panko-breaded and shallow-fried. Diners have praised it as the most moist and tender pork they have ever eaten, and then billy-clubbed me the rest of the day after I told them what it was.

spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
Master Chef
I also say grill it.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon
The fish and chips place in the harbor in Oceanside, CA uses (or at least used to) shark much of the time for their fish and chips. It was great done that way.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote