"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Cook

I can't make salmon anymore

Simple, simple stuff but somehow I've forgotten how to prepare baked salmon correctly. I don't do anything except placing a few lemon slices on the salmon and then I just throw in the oven. Usually, at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes is all I need but the last two times it wasn't cooked all the way through. My oven is somewhat old and it has settings for bake, broil, etc.....I do want to select bake, correct? I'm going through the obvious now.

Usually I don't cover the salmon at all but this time I tried wrapping it in aluminum foil to keep the juices escaping, but still the same result - very pink along with some overcooked areas as per the white goo forming around the bottom edges.

This was my favorite, quick and easy meal and now I've been screwing up. What have I done wrong?!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Easton, my first suggestion would be to check your oven. If you don't have an oven thermometer, get one. Ovens, even new ones, can be off by quite a few degrees. That can result in very poor results in cooking and baking.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with baking salmon since I've only recently been able to convince Buck how delicious it is. Don't worry. You will get other replies to your dilemma.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
You say that it is cooked "all the way through" which leads me to believe you would like it at a med rare to medium tempertaure. 400 degrees is a very high temperature for salmon, especially if you are doing filets. What you could is sear it skin side down in a saute pan until it releases. Then put it in a pan and cover with the lemon as usall and cooked for about 4 minutes in a 300 degree oven. The fish should start to flake when it is around med rare to medium.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi88kid View Post
You say that it is cooked "all the way through"
Whoops. I meant "wasn't cooked all the way through".
Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Well if you would like it cooked all the way through I would put it in a 325 degree oven for around 6 or 7 minutes. Just check it for how well u want.BTW how long did you have it in the oven for when you were cooking at 400?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Well if you would like it cooked all the way through I would put it in a 325 degree oven for around 6 or 7 minutes. Just check it for how well u want.BTW how long did you have it in the oven for when you were cooking at 400?
A lower temperature and less time if I want to cook it all the way through? You sure about that?

I'm trying to get it to a pale pinkish color where it flakes into almost like slices.

I left it in there for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

Considering you're in Everett, just come on over to Somerville to show me how to do it!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Senior Cook

well I know that with small poultrys you cook at high temperatures for less time usually but i dont believe its the same with fish. At my work we always sear the fish and usually serve it at med-rare. However when we do get an order for a cooked through fish we cook it in the same temperature oven. 325 to 350 sounds good to be but i believe 400 is just much too high. BTW if you live in sommerville you should stop by my work at the Ashmont Grill.

Edit: For future reference the general rule when cooking fish is that you should cook for 10 minutes for every inch of thickeness. I also double checked anywhere from 325 to 350 should be fine.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
Senior Cook

As i was sitting here watching top chef i relized you are probably cooking a whole half salmon huh? If so then you would probably want to cook at 350 for maybe 15 to 20 mins im not quite sure because i've never worked with a whole loin we usually cut into filets at my work.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
Head Chef

325 with a little white wine and some dill weed and koshers salt for 20-25 minutes for a well done fillet or whole side of salmon. You can top it with lemon/onion/ and what ever else you think might taste good. Experiment Just think where we would be if Columbus did not take a chance.. I salt and dill mine and wrap in plastic wrap and put it in the ice box for 24 hours and it is partially cured like Grav Lox then bake and it is delicious
Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
As i was sitting here watching top chef i relized you are probably cooking a whole half salmon huh? If so then you would probably want to cook at 350 for maybe 15 to 20 mins im not quite sure because i've never worked with a whole loin we usually cut into filets at my work.
Nah, salmon fillets. Today, I had a half a pound of salmon cut in two.

I'll take your advice and try to cook at a lower temperature next time. I'm scared.

Tags
None