"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-08-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to KevInAlaska Send a message via AIM to KevInAlaska Send a message via Yahoo to KevInAlaska Send a message via Skype™ to KevInAlaska
Talking I just can't bring myself around to eating seafood

Well I am sorry I know some of you are shocked and horred by this statement (said with fun) but I can't bring myself around to eating seafood of anyshape or form (not including plat forms of food like seaweed). I life in Alaska, I see my friends and family and every other person who visits here eatting fish etc. I just can't do it.

I started my life as a veggi only but in my teens I started eatting meat with not to many problems except even way back then I could not stand the looks, smell, and some times taste of seafood.

I don't think there is anything wrong with anyone who like to eat seafood. Only time that even might become an issue for me is if they eat the meat of creatures in danger of becoming lost for ever.

I have eatten lots of other kinds of odd thing (odd for the general public of the USA). Like gator or squid and a few others including moose and raindeer (sorry Santa! But it was over 3 years ago so you can't count that for this year! Sorry if you knew him, I had no idea!)

Although I have to say that I find it odd for me because I like my meats to be prepared for me in a fine package of sorts with no bones and only the meat from the animal.

Well, I am sure the answer is in that some where but thought I would just say this stupid fact about me with out any real reasons besides getting in some chatting in.

Best wishes

Kevin in Alaska

Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Kevin, most of us have certain foods we shun for various reasons.

Think it is unfortunate when the list of forbidden fruit becomes so extensive that they basically are missing one of life's greatest pleasures.

For example, have a bil who will eat nothing he was exposed to after the age of five.

And he was not raised with sea urchin gonads and sweetbreads but rather just regular old meat and potatoes, and the meat better be beef. His pizza choice: cheese, not double cheese, just cheese period. Veggies are to be served plain, don't get fancy and mix a couple together. Gravy, simple beef gravy, if for mashed taters only. And don't even think about adding onions in any form to anything. You get the idea.

Sounds like you are willing to try many items, great. I always feel there is some reason another person likes a food and I should give it a fair shot. Just don't put in bananas, for some reason I have a visceral dislike even for the smell of the things.

By the way, squid is a seafood. And for people who live along the coasts it is not very unusual at all. Although we usually call it calamari. Maybe you tolerate it because it is quite bland tasting, the reason why I usually opt for another sea critter to eat.

Anyway glad to have you here at DC.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to KevInAlaska Send a message via AIM to KevInAlaska Send a message via Yahoo to KevInAlaska Send a message via Skype™ to KevInAlaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Maybe you tolerate it because it is quite bland tasting, the reason why I usually opt for another sea critter to eat.
NO NO NO!!! you did the thing you shouldn't... call it a critter! heh... give it personality and that used to be an idea about eatting meat I had when I was younger. I would think of it in terms of intellegence etc.

Okay okay... I have still done it even at the age I am now (cough cough!! 37 cough cough!!) err... excuse me. but it is rare though. I think I have for the most part deeply embedded that way of thinking inside me. I creeps out now and then.

heh... But I agree with your way of thinkings. well enough of it if I were being graded on it it would be in the 90 percent mark or higher and thats considered an A right!

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Executive Chef

My wife does not like sea food eitheer, she just doesn't like the texture. They can also look rather wierd which puts some people off.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Seafood is one of the greatest eating pleasures there is. I hope so day that you are able to overcome whatever it is that is keeping you from being able to try some things. You are missing out on some amazing food that happens to be extremely good for you as well.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevInAlaska
. . .I can't bring myself around to eating seafood of anyshape or form
What a shame. Like hating barbecue in Memphis or Mexican in El Paso.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Master Chef

My dad grew up on a farm in Iowa, and he didn't like seafood or fish of any kind. He didn't like chicken either, because it was his job to singe the feathers off the chickens after his mother killed them, and he said that was a smell he could never forget.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I wouldn't worry about it, Kevin. There are enough wonderful things to eat in the world and it seems as though you've already had experience with many unusual food items. Perhaps in time your tastes will change. They do, you know.

For many years I couldn't bring myself to eat asparagus, but now I really enjoy it. Don't know what happened or what "switch" was thrown in my brain, but asparagus is now part of my eating list.

Most of her life, our daughter didn't care for any seafood, save canned tuna, but over the last several years she's begun to enjoy shelled seafood. She'll be 35 this year so, you see, age really doesn't matter when it comes to tastes changing/evolving.

Have fun with what you are eating. Who knows what will surprise you in the future?!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Executive Chef

There are all kinds of reasons people have food phobias. And there are also just plain and simple differences in how we taste. My mom made sure we kids had exposure to all kinds of food at home and in restaurants. Some of my earliest food loves were for strong flavors like clams shrimp lamb and blue cheese. To this day I still love them. What did not interest me was cake or fruit pie. Too sweet, too sticky. I love fruit; just don't muck it up by cooking it! So here I am a perfectly rational person not caring for apple pie no matter who makes it. I can eat it. I will not get sick. But I'd much rather just have some cheese please. The perfect peach, sweet juicy and tangy melt in your mouth fruit. Nothing better in summer. But preserves, or pie or cobbler...no thanks. I do like chocolate, but the darker the better...less sweet, more savory.

Will all this change? Hasn't for half a century, but who knows?? My interest and enjoyment of dark green and leafy veggies has certainly increased. We each have our unique tasters.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
Head Chef

Robo, we too much prefer savory to sweet.

Gosh, we almost never have sweets about and will essentially never eat dessert.

But when there is a good one, and I feel like it, I will enjoy it thoroughly.

Go figure.

Tags
None