I need a Great scampi recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Both the DW and I have failed at numerous attempts. It's either not garlicy enough, too oily or just bland.

We use the standard ingredients: shrimp, oil, butter, garlic, parsley, white wine, lemon.

Still can't get it right.

It's been a long time since I made shrimp scampi but you certainly have all the right ingredients!!! I don't think I can really add anything except to say I have also added a bit of cayenne pepper to mine - not a substantial amount but "some". What if you thicken the sauce a bit - not really to thicken but just to give it some body - with a roux. Or, very lightly dredge your shrimp in a bit of cornstarch/flour first, then what falls off will give the sauce a bit of body?

I'm just brainstorming...

I served mine in individual dishes one time with wild rice on the bottom - the wild rice was REALLY good with it!

Ive never made shrimp scampi, however I have eaten it in many different restaurants and alot of them had what seemed like bread crumbs in the sauce (I dont mean the shrimp was breaded). Maybe that would add another layer of flavor?
Im no cook, ya know, but thought that might help ; )

KE - yeah, I forgot we add a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Kathe - I've seen that too, but had visions of bready goo.

I don't know what it is. I just have the quantities off. It also doesn't seem to make a difference cooking the shrimp first then setting aside or cooking them in the sauce.

Are you using fresh flat-leaf parsley? I find that fresh parsley makes a huge difference and flat-leaf is the best. Right at the end toss it in.

Hey, do you think I should use garlic powder along with fresh garlic?

....just browsing some other recipes.

lol.. I wouldn't waste your scampi in those but... thery are not too bad for a rushed night side dish.

If it's not garlicky enough, I would add more fresh garlic. Sometimes I add a shallot as well, along with the red pepper flakes, lemon juice, flat leaf parsley & wine. If you're a caper fan, add some to the mix - for more flavor. My scampi is very similar to Tyler's:

Shrimp Scampi with Linguini Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

If you want to try something a little different, RR's Greek style scampi is very good.

Greek Style Shrimp Scampi and Linguini Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

I have a tnt recipe for shrimp baked in individual gratin dishes (topped w breadcrumbs - from memory). Will see if I can get to it.

Cool, thanks. I'll give Tylers a shot first since those are pretty much the same ingredients I used and see what the difference is.

I'd like to check out the gratin dish recipe too if you find it. Gives me a reason to go shopping. lol

Shrimp Scampi is one of my favorite things to make. I always use Olive oil but only a little, usually no more than 3-4 Tbsp. I always use a lot of garlic but I put it through a press. Doing that gives you a more intense garlic flavor. Always use Fresh Italian Parsley and I too add capers along with lemon juice, lemon zest and wine. It is truly intensley flavored and soooo delicious. Try cutting back on the amount of oil, saute the shrimp quickly and only til it turns pink and try pressing or mashing the garlic. I think you'll find the perfect Scampi.

Could it be that you're just not adding enough salt? Fresh lemon also heightens all of the flavors in the dish. I've found that the increased addition of both salt and lemon juice can vastly improve the flavor of an otherwise bland scampi dish.

Could it be that you're just not adding enough salt? Fresh lemon also heightens all of the flavors in the dish. I've found that the increased addition of both salt and lemon juice can vastly improve the flavor of an otherwise bland scampi dish.

Thanks, I'll pay attention to that too.

Back
Top Bottom