"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 03-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
yep, that's exactly it amber. it is acid cooked fish. many people are squeamish about eating fish "cooked" in lemon/lime acid, but if you use a good grade of very fresh fish, you will be fine. ceviche is delicious.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Lugaru
Mmm... Dos Equis... man you have the right idea right there. I know ceviche as the ultimate bachelors food... wake up on sunday around 11, put on a soccer game, chop up some fish and ingredients for ceviche and crack open a ballena (basically a 40 of beer). .

In my neighborhood they wake up at 11, put on the Pats game, open up a bag of chips, order a pizza and crack open a Bud. Or Guiness.

Seriously, I don't much care for cod or haddock in ceviche. I would rather have snapper, mahi mahi or something like that.

Or, as Andy says, scallops. I have started eating them again after having some bad ones at Durgin Park in 1980 (really). Or shrimp.

Legal Seafood fish markets are a great place to get really fresh fish for ceviche or sushi.

jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Scallop Ceviche on Black Pasta Cakes w/Cilantro Salsa

This is a wonderful recipe - I didn't have squid ink pasta so I just used regular pasta.

For ceviche
1/2 cup thinly sliced white onion
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup fresh lime juice
1 fresh jalapeño chile, sliced, including seeds
2 tablespoons kosher salt
24 medium sea scallops (1 1/4 lb), tough muscles removed from sides if necessary and scallops halved horizontally

For pasta cakes
6 oz black (squid ink) angel’s hair pasta
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
About 1 cup olive or vegetable oil For cilantro salsa
1/2 cup minced white onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh tomatillos
1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeño chile, including seeds
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Make ceviche: Combine onion, juices, jalapeño, and salt in a bowl.

Poach scallops in 4 quarts of simmering salted water, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through (scallops should be opaque with centers slightly pink), about 1 minute. Drain scallops and gently toss with marinade. Marinate scallops, covered and chilled, 3 hours.

Make pasta cakes: Boil pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain pasta in a colander. Rinse briefly under cold running water to stop cooking (don’t cool pasta completely) and drain well. Toss pasta with extra-virgin olive oil.

Heat 1/4 inch olive or vegetable oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Form cakes by dropping a few strands of loosely squiggled pasta into a 1-tablespoon measure to fill it and inverting tablespoon into oil, flattening cake slightly if necessary. (If strands in bowl become too sticky to handle, stir in a little reserved pasta water, 1 teaspoon at a time. You need some starch from pasta to hold cake together, but you don’t want strands to become wet.) Cook cakes, 4 at a time, until crisp, 45 seconds to 1 minute per side, and drain on paper towels. Season cakes with salt.

Make salsa: Soak onion in cold water to cover 20 minutes, then drain and rinse well. Stir together onion, cilantro, tomatillos, tomato, jalapeño, and salt and chill, covered, until ready to use.

Assemble hors d’oeuvres: Lift scallops out of marinade and put 1 on top of each pasta cake. Top with salsa and serve immediately.

Cooks' notes:
• Pasta cakes may be made 1 day ahead and kept between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container at room temperature.

• Ceviche can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

• Salsa is best when made no more than 2 hours before serving.

Makes 48 hors d’oeuvres.

December 2000

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
Head Chef
I am surprised at all the recommendations to buy seafood at Haymarket. I never have, because the stench is pretty bad, even on a cold day! On warm days, flies land on the fish, and that just turns me off.

I get my fish at local supermarkets or small neighborhood markets.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer
I have not been to Haymarket since I was much much younger, but as soon as you mentioned the stench it brought back a ton of memories. Yes it smelled pretty bad, but it was such a cool place.

Some of the best places to get fish in a lot of towns is right on the docks. The smell there is bound to be pretty bad too. Just make sure the fish looks and feels fresh and that the fish itself does not smell off and you should be OK.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #16
Sous Chef
I agree with all the fish choices... any one of them would work well, shrimp is my favorite tho. I grew up just outside of Boston, in Brookline, my mom would take me to Haymarket Square just about every weekend. I loved it!!! It is nothing like that now, fancy shops and stuff, a victim of it's own success I think........great memories of childhood.
Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
Haymarket is at its worst on Saturday night! Piles of garbage that haven't been cleaned up yet. What a mess.

If you intend to walk from the North End to the Quincy Market area, you can't miss it. Just take a left at the stench.:!:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #18
Master Chef
BUT... Haymarket is still a good place to buy produce. It's usually pretty cheap and good quality. Still a schlep though and that sorta outweighs the money you save.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #19
Executive Chef
If you're on the East Coast, I would get Atlantic Black Sea Bass or Fluke. Both turn out very good ceviches.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote