"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I need help from you native northeners...

I've been wanting to make fish ceviche (raw fish cured in lime juice) but Im not acustomed to the northern seafood and when I go to markets everything looks alien to me. Can you guy's recomend a fish that tastes clean, not very fatty and has pale flesh?

Either way Im going to do some shrimp ceviche soon but I really want to try fish ceviche too.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Guess it would depend on where in the 'north' you live, lugaru! Eastern North Coast versus Central versus Western all have different local fishies. Your best bet would be to get to know some of the fishmongers in your area, or supermarkets who have really fresh fish. If you tell them what you're doing, they're usually pretty honest about what's fresh and what's been sitting threre for a day or two.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Hmmm... Im thinking of hitting haymarket early morning and harrassing the fish vendors with just that question. Btw Im in Boston, Ma.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

OMH - Why didn't you say so! You should be able to get some great fresh fish at Haymarket! I don't know whether Fanueil Hall still has the old markets in it - that's where we used to go for all our fresh fish and meat.

Well, types - now that I know where you are! Scrod, definitely - it's a baby cod, and is wonderfully mild and tender. Halibut, haddock, flounder, all would make great ceviche! You also might want to wanter over to the North End, and maybe you could get some baby octopus which would also be great ceviche'd!

Darn, I miss Boston!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Wow... that was unexpectedly helpful, I didint know you had spent time in boston! Yeah, I have no buisness being up here but I just havent wanted to leave because it's such a nice city, although expensive.

Hmm... baby octopus... I might make a campechana (ceviche with 5 sea creatures or more) and scare my roomies to death. My mother (who was born in the us) always said campechanas look like something they would be eating in the star wars cantena.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Lugaru:

Consider using sea scallops for your ceviche.

Try to get those that are labeled as dry. Some scallops have water added and others do not - those are labeled as dry.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

lugaru, i could go for a good ceviche and a cold dos equis right now.
what kind of fish did you used to use in your ceviche?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:49 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Mmm... Dos Equis... man you have the right idea right there. I know ceviche as the ultimate bachelors food... wake up on sunday around 11, put on a soccer game, chop up some fish and ingredients for ceviche and crack open a ballena (basically a 40 of beer).

Well I mostly used botete wich is a short and thick fish with a really tough skin. A lot of that pacific gulf fish is really tough.

I also love using scallops as andy suggests (cayo de hacha) which being as good as they are people usually just serve them on a plate drenched in lime with sliced raw onion and serano peppers. They will sometimes do the same with raw shrimp (camaron ahogado) although most people cook shrimp if it's going into ceviche. An interesting thing is that vendors often sold bags of water from boiling shrimp for people making ceviche to use instead of water. People in my home state love that "taste of the ocean" style thing.

For a good campechana you will find scallops, oysters, shrimp, octopus, fish, shrimp and some other stuff... it's a really overwhealming experience but man does that stuff invigorate you. This is served in a HUGE coctail glass with a pile of tostadas, saltines, a few sliced limes, a bowl of sea salt and a few bottles of hot sauce.

As for the ceviche itself Im a bit of a purist, Im fine with a little water, sea salt, lime, huichol hot sauce, diced tomato and diced onion. Other people will also use clamato, shirmp broth, diced cucumber and in the south of mexico lot's of people put ketchup in their ceviche... some northern stands have bottles available if wanted by the customer.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:13 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I have nothing additional to add except to say that all the fishes already suggested would be wonderful.

I did not know you are in Boston. I am about an hour west of the city (outside of Worcester). You have such a large number of places to find good fish right where you are. Unfortunately I do not remember any specific places, but Haymarket would be great. I am sure if Jennyema is reading this she will have some great suggestions too :)
Old 03-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I am in Maine, so the fish we have here is similar to that which you would find in Mass. I've never tried ceviche, but my favorite fish choices would be haddock, cod, sole, flounder. Does the lime juice cook the fish, seeing as it is acidic?

Tags
None