I'm looking for some new shrimp recipes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are two traditional Thai soups, Tom Kha and Tom Yum that can be made with shrimp as the protein (add 'goong' to the end of either name e.g. tom yum goong).

Tom Kha is made with coconut milk while Tom Yum is made with tamarind and chile paste. Here are recipes for both.

Tom Yum Soup

5-6 C Chicken Stock
[FONT=PC&#47749]⅓[/FONT] C Galangal, sliced
2-3 Cl Garlic, crushed
2 Ea Lemon Grass, crushed
4-6 Ea Kaffir Lime Leaves, chopped
4-5 Ea Thai chilies, chopped
4 Tb Fish Sauce
2 Tb Nam Prik Pao
1 Tb Tamarind Concentrate
1 Can Straw Mushrooms, drained
[FONT=PC&#47749]¾[/FONT] Lb Shrimp, peeled & butterflied

Combine the stock, galangal, garlic, lemon grass, lime leaves, chilies, fish sauce, nam prik pao and tamarind concentrate in a 3-4 quart sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Discard the solids. Add the straw mushrooms to the broth and return it to a simmer.

Just before service add the shrimp and simmer momentarily. The shrimp will cook in a minute.

If you substitute cut-up white meat chicken for the shrimp, add it at the end and simmer for 3-4 minutes to cook it through.

Tom Kha Soup

8 Ea Kaffir Lime Leaves, bruised
2 Cans Coconut Milk (13½ Fl. Oz. each)
2 C Chicken Broth
6 Slices Galangal
4 Ea Lemon Grass, 2” pieces-crushed
4 Ea Green Chiles, halved
[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] C Shrimp, butterflied
½ C Whole Straw Mushrooms
½ C Sliced Bamboo Shoots
¼ C Fish Sauce
6 Tb Lime Juice (2-3 limes)

Place 4 of the lime leaves into a large saucepan along with the coconut milk, broth, galangal, lemon grass and chilies.

Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid through a fine strainer and discard the contents of the sieve.

Return the strained stock to a boil. Add the remaining lime leaves, chicken, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and fish sauce. Boil gently for 3 minutes.

If you’re using shrimp in place of chicken, add it later and simmer for one minute.

Stir in the lime juice and serve.

Those look great Andy. Are the kaffir leaves individual or are you counting them as pairs?

as a side note to the two recipes I just posted, you can use chicken in place of the shrimp to make tom yum gai and tom kha gai.

There are two traditional Thai soups, Tom Kha and Tom Yum that can be made with shrimp as the protein (add 'goong' to the end of either name e.g. tom yum goong).

Tom Kha is made with coconut milk while Tom Yum is made with tamarind and chile paste. Here are recipes for both.

Tom Yum Soup

5-6 C Chicken Stock
[FONT=PC&#47749]⅓[/FONT] C Galangal, sliced
2-3 Cl Garlic, crushed
2 Ea Lemon Grass, crushed
4-6 Ea Kaffir Lime Leaves, chopped
4-5 Ea Thai chilies, chopped
4 Tb Fish Sauce
2 Tb Nam Prik Pao
1 Tb Tamarind Concentrate
1 Can Straw Mushrooms, drained
[FONT=PC&#47749]¾[/FONT] Lb Shrimp, peeled & butterflied

Combine the stock, galangal, garlic, lemon grass, lime leaves, chilies, fish sauce, nam prik pao and tamarind concentrate in a 3-4 quart sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Strain the broth and return it to the saucepan. Discard the solids. Add the straw mushrooms to the broth and return it to a simmer.

Just before service add the shrimp and simmer momentarily. The shrimp will cook in a minute.

If you substitute cut-up white meat chicken for the shrimp, add it at the end and simmer for 3-4 minutes to cook it through.

Tom Kha Soup

8 Ea Kaffir Lime Leaves, bruised
2 Cans Coconut Milk (13½ Fl. Oz. each)
2 C Chicken Broth
6 Slices Galangal
4 Ea Lemon Grass, 2” pieces-crushed
4 Ea Green Chiles, halved
[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] C Shrimp, butterflied
½ C Whole Straw Mushrooms
½ C Sliced Bamboo Shoots
¼ C Fish Sauce
6 Tb Lime Juice (2-3 limes)

Place 4 of the lime leaves into a large saucepan along with the coconut milk, broth, galangal, lemon grass and chilies.

Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid through a fine strainer and discard the contents of the sieve.

Return the strained stock to a boil. Add the remaining lime leaves, chicken, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and fish sauce. Boil gently for 3 minutes.

If you’re using shrimp in place of chicken, add it later and simmer for one minute.

Stir in the lime juice and serve.

You forgot Tom Jones, and Tom Cruse. They'd both look good on a serving platter, in someone else's" home of course.:LOL:Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

I had a salad today with shrimp and heirloom tomatoes. The shrimp had been wrapped in bacon and grilled until the bacon was perfectly crisp and the shrimp perfectly done. If I thought I could pull it off, I would go back tomorrow for another.

If you've never had a shrimp burger, try this recipe - Crispy Shrimp Burgers | Slender Kitchen

Srimp burgers were availabel to me at this little restaurant on base at NAS North Island, when I was in the navy. I fell in love at first bit.

I'm sure that this isn't the same recipe as from that restaurant, but when I did a search, it looks like a real winner. i'm going to have to make some. My only attempt at making shrimp burgers was a flop. I was winging it from a 30 year old memory.

I picked this recipe from the web as looing at the ingredients, and technique, it makes sense, with all of the flavors playing in my head like a great symphony. I'm going to try it, maybe next payday.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ah, shrimp burgers, how I love thee. The best I've had were in a couple little diners in North Dakota, of all places. Thin, crispy, and tarter sauce on the side :yum:

I have used Rachel Ray's SB recipe, was pretty good.

Last edited:
All seafood in this area has become so expensive. I can only imagine what the prices are in the rest of the country. :angel:

Mash some mint leaves into lime juice (you can also use cilantro or parsley if you prefer). Chop some cooked, chilled shrimp and toss with the lime juice. Cut an avocado in half and remove the pit. Fill the hole left by the pit with the shrimp. Now all you need is a spoon.

Tear up some basil leaves and place in a large bowl. Add a bunch of lime juice. Add raw shrimp and mix around. Marinate for 30 minutes. Put shrimp on skewers and grill until just done. Serve on top of your favorite mixed greens.

I haven't tried it but I bet if you stuffed a cornish game hen with shrimp, basil, garlic, and a little lemon, then roasted it, it would be really good. Artichoke or asparagus on the side. Now I really wish shrimp was in the budget.

Back
Top Bottom