Imitation crab meal idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahhhhh..it is like heaven in the mouth. Basicly it is surimi, garlic, and cream cheese all pocketed in wonton skin, pressed like a flower and deep fried. Served with a little sweet and sour sauce.

You can add jsut a touch of sugar to the cream cheese/garlic/surimi mixture before flding the won ton skin around it. That's how our local Chines Restaurant makes theirs, and it is so very good that I had to create a duplicate recipe at home. And Tatgrat is right. It is very good.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed fo the North

thank you all for your suggestions and recipes. i decided on the recipe Bangbang suggested and it was soo good. its definately a keeper and i will be making shrimp scampi next time instead of using the crab. Thanks.

debbie24 said:
i have some imitation crab that i would like to use up. hubby is not a salad person so thats kind of out. i was thinking pasta. any suggestions? i'm new to cooking so any help will be appreciated. i saw a few recipes for alfredo but i dont have any cream cheese in the house right now or parmesan cheese. so sorry if this is a tough one. thanks
My husband makes hoagies with them with diced onion, little mayo or salad dressing, he really likes them on a toasted bun. :)

the Surimi people tout their product as "imitation crab," but if you ever tasted them side by side, you'd be surprised at how different they taste. :rolleyes: I used to use it too, a long time ago, before I found out what they put into it... very cheap fish "pieces," corn syrup (the last package said "high fructose" to boot!) salt and artificial color.

I guess you've figured out by now that I'm one of those "natural foods" nuts... sorry if I hijacked your thread. :(

I have a reccomendation for your imatation crab...

Try putting it under your rose bushes, or gosh even stuffing it down the disposall would be good.

This must be a matter of personal opinion, but that stuff is considerably lacking in all crab-like attributes (trying to say that tactfully).

Its ok ChefJune. I was looking at the ingredients list also and didnt like what it said too much. it was good but i dont think i will ever buy it again. it was something i tried and it wasnt anything great so whats the point.

Personally, I like the stuff. I can tell the difference, but it's OK. I'm landlocked here in the sticks, and don't have much in the way of fresh crab to compare it to anyway.

Fish hotdogs...good comparison, Tattrat. But then, I love hot dogs, too.

That was my point. It is imitation crab...not crab. Erks' me when folks are like,"it's not like crab", we know that, hence IMITATION. It has its uses and I have and will continue to use it. It makes for an ok filler when doing large seafood caseroles and such. I wouldn't eat it straight up, but when cut with real seafood, it is certainly pallatable, IMO.

It resembles the "snow crab"legs I guess, here on the east coast, everyone eats bluecrab. Surimi has nothing in common with bluecrab.

TATTRAT said:
but when cut with real seafood, it is certainly pallatable, IMO.
It actually IS real seafood. It is not real crab, but it is made from other fishes.

On a side note, my old neigbor and and friends dad was the first person in the US to start importing the imitation crab. He became extremely rich almost overnight. It you ever see Jada brand, that is his. It is named after his daughter and son. He used the first two letters of each of their names (Jana and David).

I like the stuff for what it is. It tastes nothing like crab to me, but I think it still has its place.

It's mostly pollack, from what I understand.

As you all know, I don't get around so well, and have accepted the fact that sometimes I have to take shortcuts.
The Zatarain's Gumbo is pretty darned tasty, especialy if you add a little filo when you dish it up. I usually add medium shrimp, sliced smoked sausage, and imitation crab. If I have a bit of cooked chicken, I may add that too.

Now, it doesn't taste anything like the gumbo Naomi or Mrs. Bordice made, or what we got at Felix in New Orleans...I think for that experience, you just have to be there. It's also not as good as what I make when I stand over the stove for hours'

But we enjoy it.

I agree that you have to take it for what it is. I don't think any buys it thinking it's "real" crab, & can't understand why people get their knickers in a twist about it.

I also really really enjoy canned &/or packaged Asian-seasoned wheat gluten (aka Setain). Many times it comes under the title of "Mock Duck". Do I think I'm buying duck? Heck no! Do I still like it. Heck yes!

Again this all boils down to nothing more than personal taste.

It's at least pallitable and tastes closer to crab than imitation lobster tastes to lobster. Now that's just discusting.

Imitation crab makes great quiche and it's super easy.

BreezyCooking said:
I agree that you have to take it for what it is. I don't think any buys it thinking it's "real" crab, & can't understand why people get their knickers in a twist about it.

I also really really enjoy canned &/or packaged Asian-seasoned wheat gluten (aka Setain). Many times it comes under the title of "Mock Duck". Do I think I'm buying duck? Heck no! Do I still like it. Heck yes!

Again this all boils down to nothing more than personal taste.
Seitan is good food, if you like that kind of thing. Imitation crab is pretty much garbage food that the industry has sold folks on buying. We weren't talking about "personal taste" in the last couple of posts! No one has their "knickers in a twist" as you so colorfully described..... If I can't afford real crab then I'll serve something else altogether.

ChefJune said:
Seitan is good food, if you like that kind of thing. Imitation crab is pretty much garbage food that the industry has sold folks on buying. We weren't talking about "personal taste" in the last couple of posts! No one has their "knickers in a twist" as you so colorfully described..... If I can't afford real crab then I'll serve something else altogether.
Don't they say "one man's trash is another man's treasure"? I would never use real crab in a quiche. That would be the worlds most expensive quiche and it wouldn't taste the same. But I would never make a crab cake with immitation crab. Immitation crab has it's place and I see nothing wrong with using it in appropriate recipes.

Back
Top Bottom