In the shell oysters for stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I bought 2 dz. Oysters in the shell since I couldn't get the pre-shucked.

I washed them and laid them out on a rack in a large roasting pan with about a half inch of water below.

My plan is to put them under the broiler just until they pop open, then remove them from the shell to make an oyster stew.

Next, I'll strain the water through a paper towel lined sieve, and add that to the stew.

I've never had to deal with in the shell oysters, so I'd appreciate and suggestions. I'm just guessing at this point.

Last edited:
You could steam them on top of the stove like clams.

Scrub the oysters, get a pot with an inch or so of seasoned water in the bottom, bring the liquid to a boil, pop in the oysters, cover the pan, turn down the heat to medium and steam them for 5 minutes or so until the shells open. Strain the liquid to remove any sand or grit and add some or all of it to your stew.

Thanks all. I definitely will steam them next time.

I couldn't wait with that huge pan using up all my kitchen. So... I went ahead with the broiler idea.

I warmed the broiler, stuck them in and timed at 3 minute intervals. Oops.

Few of them actually cracked open, so I kept 3 minuting until some of them were ready to open.

I noticed that the hinge side was wide open by then, so I started opening them that way.

The oysters were overcooked.

I saved and strained the pan juices, and have saute'd the onions and celery.

I still have to clean some garlic to add.

I'm debating whether or not to add the actual oysters to the stew. I would hate if it ended up with a scorched taste.

:wacko:

Sorry Zhi! I've never tried to shuck or cook oysters in the shell. Are they edible at all?

Well that's a bummer, Z. I've never shucked or cooked oysters in the shell either.

Actually, I ate one and it was okay. Not like fresh, but still tasty.

I put them in the broiler liquid along with the saute'd onions and celery. I gave up at that point and just added a bunch of garlic powder.

I'll let this steep in the fridge overnight. It'll be different, but I don't think scorched.

*fingers crossed*

When they're cooked in a stew, they're not supposed to taste like fresh (by fresh, I mean raw). But when they're overcooked, they get rubbery and tough. So if you liked them, they're fine. Add them to your stew just long enough to warm them up and then dig in! ;)

Last edited:
I've never done them either but I'm glad you didn't try to do the classic shucking as I would think like most of us, you don't have the required right tool to do them. I've heard bloody horror stories about shucking oysters.:w00t2:

Actually, it's not that difficult. As long as you use a towel to protect your hand, you're not going to do much damage to it with the knife (or the oyster shell, which can also be quite sharp).

As far as having an oyster knife, yes, they are a nice-to-have item. But before shelling out money for one, I opened plenty of oysters using nothing more than a big fat screwdriver.

Once you get the hang of it, it's really not that complicated at all.

I'm sure I could have shucked them properly, but I didn't have the tool.

I'm sure that steaming would work. In fact, I'm going to bet another $20 (next month) to prove it (next month).

I think that what I ended up with will be edible, if not what I planned.

Last edited:
Actually, it's not that difficult. As long as you use a towel to protect your hand, you're not going to do much damage to it with the knife (or the oyster shell, which can also be quite sharp).

As far as having an oyster knife, yes, they are a nice-to-have item. But before shelling out money for one, I opened plenty of oysters using nothing more than a big fat screwdriver.

Once you get the hang of it, it's really not that complicated at all.

I never would have thought of that Steve. Good point, or rather, lack of a point.

Hmm. Where we live, we don't have access to fresh oysters. But if we did, I have screwdrivers, putty knives, and exacto knives, so I'm prepared in case we find any!

Sea otters have had to use rocks ever since they were banned from using tools following their involvement in the "Great Tool Disaster" many years ago.

oh, I remember that...gangs of otters with screwdrivers and putty knives in the streets.

Back
Top Bottom