"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
gg, i've never heard anyone differentiate chesapeake crabs from maryland ones?

from the way you mentioned it, i'm guessing the chesapeake ones are sweeter, or bigger, or both?
No, they're the same thing - it's just the OCD editor in me. I get irritated when people say "Maryland crabs," as if the blue crabs "belong" to or are native to Maryland. Virginia has a bigger Bay coastline and a longer (European) food history, so it has as much claim to the crabs as Maryland. They're located throughout the Chesapeake Bay.

Yeah, it makes me crabby

Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No, they're the same thing - it's just the OCD editor in me. I get irritated when people say "Maryland crabs," as if the blue crabs "belong" to or are native to Maryland. Virginia has a bigger Bay coastline and a longer (European) food history, so it has as much claim to the crabs as Maryland. They're located throughout the Chesapeake Bay.

Yeah, it makes me crabby
How do you feel about New York strip steak?
Are you OK with that?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Executive Chef

It sounds like some kind of computer virus!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
How do you feel about New York strip steak?
Are you OK with that?
See, I don't even know what that is. When I'm editor of a food mag, it's a Delmonico steak, got it, buster?!?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
See, I don't even know what that is. When I'm editor of a food mag, it's a Delmonico steak, got it, buster?!?

I always considered a Delmonico to be a rib eye, but I know there are differences of opinion here.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Au contraire...
In these parts a delmonico steak refers to a ribeye, but usually sold during the summer months. Nothing to do with Delmonico's restaurant. And a NY strip is... well, a NY strip. You can't slice a steak from a prime rib roast and call it a NY strip. Although I'm sure they serve New York strips at Delmonico's
All I know is this thread is starting to make my fingers itch
And I did buy some blue crabs off the internet last year and was quite happy with them, but I don't seem to have saved the link
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I checked my mail in box today. Then I looked in the disk slot. Nope. No Internet crabs here.

I once had a good tasting recipe for something called DelMarVa Chicken. I think it had a slice of ham as well as chicken and I don't remember what else that made it a classic dish from that tri-state area. I don't think it had any crab in it. It was good tho.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
Executive Chef

when i lived in maryland, i had crabs all summer long, and was happy as a clam....:)

i still get email ads from maryland blue crab express. right now, 1/2 bushel of their mixed size crabs runs about $160, including shipping and handling.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Another one who was wondering about the name of this thread.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

When my husband was shrimping out of Aransas Pass in Texas, crabs in their nets were trash catch. The first thing they did when they emptied the bag on the aft deck was to get rid of the crabs fast as they would bit the shrimp and damage them. Sometimes the crew would save them and bring them home for a crab boil. They could bring home all the crabs they wanted, but were limited to 10# each of shrimp. They were blue crabs and some of the them were HUGE! Since the kids wouldn't eat them, more for me and my husband. Unfortunately that is how I managed to develop an allergy to shellfish. Too much crab meat. To much iodine.

Tags
None