"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
As long as you follow the rules, all you need is a recreational fishing license.

Presently, both claws can be taken if legal size. It is suggested that only one claw be taken. The claws will be regenerated at the next molt, but I have no idea how many molts to get a legal size claw again.
hmmmm,cheers craig.as i say " you lives & learns"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just a few notes about fish safety: Tilapia is cheap because 95% of it is imported from Cihina, where environmental controls are questionable. I haven't eaten tilapia in years. Flounder and salmon cost just a bit more and are healthier. Also, if you're concerned about mercury at all, avoid large predator fish like swordfish, grouper and mackerel. Since they eat smaller fish, the mercury load in their body is larger and thus more likely to cause problems. Here's more info: The Super Green List from Seafood Watch

Seafood Watch also has downloadable guides for buying safe, sustainable seafood and a mobile app for looking them up when you're in the store.
the tilapia we used to buy over here were farmed in the carribean then recently farming has started in the uk.i think the tilaps we buy now are uk farmed in lincolnshire.which is a relief gg,reading your post.only downer i have on tilapia & basa for that matter is that they are fresh water fish so,while tasty,don't kick it like sea fish

Old 07-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I guess I didn't clarify but if I am defrosting frozen fish what method should I use? Can I defrost it in the fridge over night or is that unsafe?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
I guess I didn't clarify but if I am defrosting frozen fish what method should I use? Can I defrost it in the fridge over night or is that unsafe?
Yep! That is the best and safest way. For thinner fillets, if you are in a hurry, you can cut open that package on a corner, place the package in a large bowl and place under running cold water. This will accelerate the thawing process somewhat.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

O also forgot to ask. Should I wash the fish before cooking?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

You can. Be sure to dry it if you are going to fry it.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Ok so I just bought frozen tilapia. How do you guys recommend cooking it?

I was gonna throw it in a flour tortialla with some brocolli slaw and jalapeno little my way fish taco. I just don't know how to cook it.

I think last time I cooked fish I pan seared it (I think that is the right term) and it just stuck to the pan and broke apart and got burnt. But this time around I have a better pan, and will be defrosting it longer.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #27
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Pat it dry, season it with some prefab cajun Spice, and you can lightly blacken it, or just pan sear it. In keeping with the Fish Taco theme, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and pan sear it. More color from the sear=more flavor for the fish.

I tend to go heavy on the spice with Tilapia, as I really don't care for it. . . if you knew how it was raised, you would have second thoughts, lol.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I tend to go heavy on the spice with Tilapia, as I really don't care for it. . . if you knew how it was raised, you would have second thoughts, lol.
Ha maybe I rather not know, but hey this is a learning experience so fire away and tell me what kind of nastiness I'm adding to my already damaged body.

Also what about minutes cooked on each side?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
Ha maybe I rather not know, but hey this is a learning experience so fire away and tell me what kind of nastiness I'm adding to my already damaged body.

Also what about minutes cooked on each side?
for doneness, it depends on the filet, but I am guessing you have a 4-6oz filet? I would say 8min is about all you need, it should feel firm to the touch, with a little give to it.

We affectionately refer to Tialpia as "poop Fish", as the farm raised stuff is raised on the poop from farm raised Sea Bass. . .the tilapia are the "tank cleaners", and go in after to take care of business. Like catfish, the tilapia just have a muddy quality, slightly reminiscent of the taste of blue mold(same with catfish) that just turn me off. In other parts of the world, it has been a "junk" fish for eons, now, it's had a culinary foothold for almost 10 years in major restaurants, adn I can't believe what people pay for it, lol.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
for doneness, it depends on the filet, but I am guessing you have a 4-6oz filet? I would say 8min is about all you need, it should feel firm to the touch, with a little give to it.

We affectionately refer to Tialpia as "poop Fish", as the farm raised stuff is raised on the poop from farm raised Sea Bass. . .the tilapia are the "tank cleaners", and go in after to take care of business. Like catfish, the tilapia just have a muddy quality, slightly reminiscent of the taste of blue mold(same with catfish) that just turn me off. In other parts of the world, it has been a "junk" fish for eons, now, it's had a culinary foothold for almost 10 years in major restaurants, adn I can't believe what people pay for it, lol.
Interesting stuff haha. Life lesson learned.

Tags
cheap, fish