"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is there Cheap Fish?

One thing I leave completely out of my diet when I am at school is FISH. I don't know much about different fishes, don't know how to properly cook fish, and am clueless if there even is cheap fish.

I am just under the impression it is out of my price range as a college student. Also what are your opinions on buying frozen fish?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
Get thee down to the fishmonger and see what he/she/they have to offer.
'Course, a modest investment in a cane pole and some crickets will generally result in cheap fish, if you fancy goin' fishin'.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Wine Guy

Tilapia is relatively cheap, as is farm-raised salmon. Frozen fish and seafood can be a good buy, and is often fresher than the fresh equivalent, since many times it's flash frozen right on the boats.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Welcome to D.C.

I am predominately a Pescatarian, which is a person who predominately eats fish, shellfish and seafood ... Health wise, I do not feel as good when I do not eat fish ... It is my main source of Protein ...

I suggest, as Hoot mentioned, to visit the Fish Mongers in your vicinity and ask them: which varieties are in season firstly, their prices, and how tos ... They are a grand source of information and fabulous recipes.

Kind regards, Have lovely wkend,
Ciao, Margaux.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I take it you do not fish?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I take it you do not fish?
Do not, but when I move to Fort Myers in September my friend is going to show me the ropes. I'm looking forward to kicking back relaxing, drinking some beer and catching some feisty fish.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
Do not, but when I move to Fort Myers in September my friend is going to show me the ropes. I'm looking forward to kicking back relaxing, drinking some beer and catching some feisty fish.
There are two ways to approach fishing. One is practically dry and the other is totally wet. I fish with the wet method. The practically dry method lets you waggle a stick around and catch whatever bites. The wet method allows you to see what you are going to catch and there isn't any by-catch.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm envious that you eill be fishing near fort meyers!

you're gonna love eating spanish mackerel, sea trout, grouper, snook, red fish, and triple tail. and get some crab traps for even more fun.

as far as buying cheap fish, besides tilapia and salmon, clams and mussels are fairly inexpensive.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I do love mussels in red or sauce. Also how will I know what fish/crab is safe to eat?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
I do love mussels in red or sauce. Also how will I know what fish/crab is safe to eat?
fish filet should look bright, not feel slimy, and should NOT smell like fish. You are in Philly, a pretty fish friendly place, as the food scene there supports the need for higher quality, fresh fish. If looking at whole fish(small tilapia, milk fish, etc) they eyes should be clear, not milky, the gills nice and red, not dark or brown, and again, should not smelly fishy.

Frozen Filets are readily available in most markets, and great deals can be found in the Asian Markets. Farm Raised Sea Bass, Sword, Mackerel, Mahi, salmon, Snapper. . . all should be readily available in single service, IQF portions.

Crabs, if buying live, they should be very lively, kicking and clawing. Crab more along the lines of snow crab, king crab, just have to pass the sniff test too. They should smell sweet, and like the sea. . . again, not fishy.

As mentioned, Mussels are great, and cheap, and if you like them, there isn't much to cooking them at home. Just make sure you clean the beards off, and clean the grit off the shells. Toast some garlic in some olive oil, add a pinch of dried oregano, parsley, thyme, a few capers, crushed red pepper, add the Mussels, add a splash of whit wine, cover, steam until opened, add a little tomato sauce, a pinch of salt, let the liquid come down some, add a knob of butter(optional), or finish with olive oil. Serve in a bowl with some crusty bread. Might set you back $8, total.

Tags
cheap, fish