"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 08-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #11
Master Chef
Tilapia is a nice mild fish, readily available and reasonably priced. I think the important thing with Tilapia is the seasoning...you need to add flavor to it without over-powering it.
I like it pan-fried, though I'd rather have bass. I have also had success pan-searing it. The filets are usually too thin to stay moist, so I stack two together, and treat them as one. Last time we seasoned them with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and a light dusting of Tony Chacheries.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I love tilapia and buy it all the time. My all time faves are trout, salmon, tilapia, walleye, lake perch and Lake Superior Whitefish. I live in Nevada and when I come to Michigan I fill up on these fish. And by the way, fish is NEVER supposed to smell of anything but sea water. If it smells like "fish" throw it out, - it's spoiled. Fresh fish has no smell at all.

VegasDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
Master Chef
I like tilapia. Beeing very blend it will take any quality you will impose on it. Well, I'm just trying to say that you can do a lot with it, by changing or adding flavor.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I'm not a big fan of tilapia. To me it's way too bland and it's almost like eating sawdust (of course it could be the way it was prepared, but then again...). I much prefer salmon, mahi-mahi, grouper, and when I can find it red snapper.
Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
Mark Twain
Foodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
Executive Chef
I love tillapia - in fact, we all do.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
Master Chef
I also give a thumbs down to Tilapia, but part of that may be my Long Island Sound upbringing. I grew up catching, cooking, & enjoying all sorts of sal****er fish & shellfish, so when I first began trying freshwater species, I was sorely disappointed. I just find them all extremely bland when compared to sal****er species.

We have seafood about twice a week, & while I do occasionally buy catfish & trout, they're exceptions rather than rule.

Oh, & as mentioned by a previous poster, high-quality fresh or thawed frozen fish of any type should not smell "fishy". While I'll excuse a slight scent from the oilier types like Bluefish or Mackerel - other sal****er types should just have a fresh briny scent to them. Sort of like the beach (minus the smell of suntan lotion :)). Freshwater varieties should be fairly neutrally scented.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #17
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
a light dusting of Tony Chacheries
That never hurt anything!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Tilapia is one of those things that will pretty much taste just like what you cook it with. It doesn't have much of a fishy flavor all it's own.

However, I really enjoy it! It's cheap and easy to cook pretty much anyway you want (although I would not suggest grilling it straight on the grill...)

My favorite is a Rachael Ray recipe called Spanish Fish in a Sack (see foodnetwork.com). She says to use Red Snapper or Cod, both of which can be expensive depending on where you live. I always use tilapia (I'm a pooooooor law student), since it's so affordable, and the recipe always turns out AMAZING (I bake the fish a bit less, since it's thinner filets).
"Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae."Kurt Vonnegut
unmuzzleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
Tilapia always seems a little bland flavoured to me so i rarely bother with it nowadays. Farmed trout in the UK is just the same.
But as everyone has said Tilapia is so plain it does take on flavours well. That may actually be it's strong point and a well filleted piece (to avoid the 'bones issue' that also deters people!) may be a way of getting people who don't normally like fish to eat it.
Caplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #20
Senior Cook

It's all in preparation. It can be manipulated to suit your guest. A great "nuetural" fish that can be prepared to suit most anyone. Salads, spreds, main course,.... you decide.

MarionW is offline   Reply With Quote