"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionW
It's all in preparation. It can be manipulated to suit your guest. A great "nuetural" fish that can be prepared to suit most anyone. Salads, spreds, main course,.... you decide.

Marion
exactly

Old 09-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #22
Senior Cook

I bought a frozen box of it at walmart (lol) pre-packaged in an herb marinade recently, was probably the best I'd had of this fish, with a really good flavor.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend
I'm not a big fan of tilapia. To me it's way too bland and it's almost like eating sawdust (of course it could be the way it was prepared, but then again...). I much prefer salmon, mahi-mahi, grouper, and when I can find it red snapper.
Use your red snapper recipes with tilapia. Very good. Tilapia is a firmer fish than snapper but not quite the steak fish that you (and I) like. I fixed some the other night by dipping in egg wash and then seasoned instant potato flakes. Sauteed.
I don't know how this fish could be made to taste like sawdust and would have to conclude it was however they fixed it.
Tilapia would also be a great fish to use in fish chowders or stews--or bouilliabaise.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #24
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
I love tilapia. It's a nice mild fish. And I don't agree about using it in chowder or stews since it's flaky and falls apart easily.

Fraidy
Old 10-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
Senior Cook

I love Tilipia but then again I love almost any fish or seafood for that matter. I've made it pan fried, grilled and broiled and also done the whole ones in the oven Mexican style with some onions, tomatoes and lime.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Forgot to mention I've also made it blackened. Used a Tanya Holland recipe from her New Soul Cooking CB. It was delicious.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #27
DC Grandma

My sisters family grills it and use it for fish tacos.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #28
Executive Chef

PeppA, my other half, loves it when I blacken Tilapia. Personally, I like it as well, but as I've mentioned in many threads, I love anything that's blackened.

I've also had tilapia that was beer-battered and deep-fried. VERY good! A little malt vinegar goes great with that, and some fresh chips (french fries).

Tilapia, if not seasoned correctly, and over-cooked, can yes result in a piece of fish that reminds one of sawdust. The key is knowning when the fish is done, and to allow for carry-over cooking. A sauce or condiment will also help if the fish is slightly overcooked.

I would use Tilapia in a fish stew or chowder, but please remember, that it IS a flaky fish, and if over-cooked, will fall apart in the stew/chowder. Treat it like you would shrimp. Cut the tilapia into small cubes, about 1/2", make the stew/chowder, and add the fish at the very last, cover the pot, remove from the heat, and let the fish poach in the stew/chowder. Stir before serving CAREFULLY, to keep it from breaking up.

Tilapia is easily farmed, and they spawn every 18 days. I even remember, 20 years ago, watching a fishing show where the hosts were down at a Texas lake, that had been stocked with a hybrid of local and Florida largemouth bass, and then stocked with tilapia as a baitfish for the bass. A 3-y.o. bass would weigh in at 5 lbs!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #29
Head Chef

Tilapia and Orange Roughe are my two favorites. I fix them many different ways, my mom use to roll them in cheese crackers and cook in the oven when I was a kid.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #30
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Tilapia, if not seasoned correctly, and over-cooked, can yes result in a piece of fish that reminds one of sawdust. The key is knowning when the fish is done, and to allow for carry-over cooking.
I like to lightly coat tilapia with Zatarrain's fish fry and quickly pan-fry. You're absolutely right; it doesn't take long. Don't over cook, but that's true of most fish.

Fraidy

Tags
None