Is Tilapia A Good Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elcameron said:
Talapia, AKA Izumi Dai is a very nice fish for sashimi. It is mild yet has a richness that is not unlike a mild tuna. It is great sliced thinly with a citrus marinade, as Ceviche, or just sliced with steamed rice, soy, wasabi, and ginger.

I'll have to try the Ceviche.

I've made a few batches of baked Tilapia recently. On it's own it's rather average fish served with a few good sides.

I have made it baked with a spice rub I bought at Kroger though wich I found makes it a very tastey seafood.

Interesting about the sushi. Wouldn't have thought of it--and not sure I would trust my sources for its freshness--as in squeaky fresh for sushi. Tilapia gets HIGH marks for being a farmed fish with good methods.

Might as well share my experiences: I've bought the fillets frozen and individually packed, which is very easy, but I was not impressed with the taste or the flakiness of the fish. Just yesterday my wife decided she wanted to make some fish tacos so I bought 3 whole fish (gutted) and filleted them up. I was sadly disappointed by the amount of meat that was yielded.

We like it a lot. Sometimes, I season it, add thinly sliced peppers and grape tomatoes and cook it in parchment on the grill or in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom