"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 08-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Is Tilapia A Good Fish?

Let me start by saying I don't care for fish all that much, except for salmon, and things like tuna. Anything too fishy I am not into. But I bought a 10lb box of frozen for tilapia not really knowing what it was, mostly because it was cheap. So I rolled them in wheat flour with cajun/creole type spice blends, and fried them up. Not bad at all! Anyone have comments on this species of fish?

thecactuswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:10 AM   #2
Executive Chef
The Search Button

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
Senior Cook
I've enjoyed it. Just panfried it also.
DaCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
I actually don't care for Tilapia all that much. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just my opinion.

It's a mild flavored fish and can be done a lot of different ways to suit your likes and dislikes.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Executive Chef
I can't get enough of it. It is a very good fish for frying. I like mine with a splash of hot sauce.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Sous Chef
i like tailpea..but lately i have fallen in LOVE with mahi mahi....if u want you firsh not fishy...thats the way to go IMO.

holds up great on the grill as well. try making grilled mahi mahi fish tacos...they are fantastic!!!
I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
mugsy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Mahi>Talapia...x-100000, imo.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Executive Chef
well it is a flat white fish with a flaky texture. It needs a sauce or coating and condiments. Good for pan frying or sauteeing. Falls appart in chowders. Taste is mild. Farm raised.

My faves: sword, salmon, cod, walleye, bass (of various types), cat, blue, trout, ... talapia simply doesn't have the individuality of these other fish. But for a fry up or quick flat surface grill, it's very nice fish. And the price is right. I like to smoke it (mesquithe) in my weber, and use it cold in salads. Really surprises people that way.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Tilapia is a neutral white fish. You can pretty much fix it to taste however you want...kinda like boneless, skinless chicken breast! I wouldn't say I DISlike it -- I really love fish of any kind -- but it's not one of my favorites. Salmon, Tuna, Cod, Walleye, Trout, Lake Superior Whitefish, Sole, Skate.... all way ahead of tilapia.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
When we use to run out of fish at the restaurant we often sub. with Tilapia a lot of people do really like it..

Its nice breadcrumbed fried in butter.. but like june said its really like a plain chicken breast!

Behind Every Good Woman... Is herself
Chef_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote