ISO a substitution for vermouth - fish dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I'm making out my shopping list for this week. One thing I"m making is a swordfish in a sage vermouth cream sauce.

I only need 1/4 cup of vermouth. Are there any substitutions? I saw a similiar question, but it was about another alcohol.

almost any dry white wine will work. dry vermouth is a fortified wine which will keep a long time as a cooking wine, it has herbs infused with it and you can purchase small bottles. It is also not expensive. So having some is not a bad thing. If you are trying to avoid using alcohol, get a white dry grape juice or de alcoholized wine like Fre.

Unless a special dish calling for a special white wine, Noilly Prat (vermouth) is all I use for white wine in recipes. And, it keeps forever, so it's great to have on hand.

You don't say why you are looking for a substitute. That will matter. Are you looking to stay away from alcohol or do you not want to buy something just to use a 1/4 cup?

Loprraine said:
You're right, it does keep a long time. I usually buy a half bottle of Noilly Prat to have on hand.
and on the other hand, I buy as large a bottle as I can find, because it keeps so well, and ensures it will be a longer while before I run out!

I too use Noilly Prat whenever white wine is called for. There are (I think) 15 herbs in the vermouth, to add character to your dish! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom