ISO advices on my oyster loaves recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnagodfrey

Assistant Cook
I was going through my grandma's recipe box. My mom just gave it to me.
This recipe is cut out of a old newspaper. My question is will it work? How could I kick it up a notch? What type dinner rolls would you use?

Oyster Loaves
Serves 8
8 dinner rolls (about 4 inches in diameter)
2 dozen large (or more if small) shucked oysters in their own juice
2 tablespoons sweet butter
2 teaspoons flour
6 tablespoons heavy cream
Freshly grated white pepper & nutmeg to taste
Pinch of salt

preheat oven to 350
Slice off top quarter of each roll and scoop out most of the inside with a fork, being careful not to cut through the bottome or sides. Replace the top and put the hollow rolls into the oven for 8 to 10 minutes to warm.
Meanwhile, remove the oysters from their liquid and pass this liquid through a strainer to remove any odd bits of shell and set aside.
In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour until well blended. Over low heat, whisk in heavy cream, 1/4 cup of the oyster liquor, and seasonings to taste.
Add the oyster and bring the sauce just to a boil. With a slotted spoon, immediately remove the oysters and dice them, if desired. Immediately fill each roll shell with the oysters and some of the cream sauce. Replace the top crust and serve at once.

I have decied to add some spinach, garlic,dash of lemom and some hot paprika......I will let you know.....I will sprinkle it with some thick bacon that has been fried and crumbled....

Donna Godfrey

Donna, just found the thread. Agree the original recipe, that sounds really cute, needs a bit of zing.

Love your ideas but would probably leave out the bacon or use it very sparingly. I find oysters to be very delicate in flavor and the bacon we use is very smokey.

Just my idea, thanks for the recipe.

Oh my, so tasty sounding! I have copied it, and will also add some onion, lemon-very little, as auntdot says, oysters have a delicate flavor. i live in an area where oysters are plentiful. I can also gather my own mussels, and this sounds great for that also. thaksK! I know I will visit this site often.
graysmoke

I finally made the oysters

I had the flu and thought I would tell you how they got....

I told you I was going to:
I have decied to add some spinach, garlic,dash of lemom and some hot paprika......I will let you know.....I will sprinkle it with some thick bacon that has been fried and crumbled....
I did add some fresh chopped spinach barely cooked, a dash od lemon and hot paprika and did not add the bacon. They actually were good!
I took the advice that the bacon might over power the delicate flavor of the oyster.

Thanks to all of you.
Donna Godfrey

Back
Top Bottom