"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 12-24-2003, 08:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
ISO - Best way to poach scallops...

My first post here at DC.com........

I tried a recipe that called for equal parts water and white wine, but the scllops didn't taste right. I don't mean they were bad because of quality, rather, they didn't have a flavor that made me want to finish the plate - they weren't succulent!
Maybe it was the wine; the recipe didn't specify which type of wine so I used a Riesling. :oops:

Does anyone have a really interesting recipe for poached scallops?

ImolaS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 05:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef
well i wouldn't poach scallops. what's the point? you don't get any flavor. i could pan sear scallops with just salt and pepper and it would taste better than scallops that are poached because you have the nice golden brown crust from caramelization.

if you really want to poach the scallops then you want to make a court boullion or a nage. i don't have time to post a recipe, but you would basically need a good fish stock, a white wine like a sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio, butter, black peppercorns, salt, and herbs/aromatics like cilantro, thyme, dill, etc. and then you are going to need a damn good sauce.

ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior Cook
As a seafood afficianado and a particular fan of scallops, I agree with Ironchef. NEVER poach scallops. The liquid inside the scallop will be forced out and you get tasteless little lumps of flesh. Pan searing is my favorite way to cook them. Be careful when buying them as well. Most scallops that are sold in America today are either packed in a preservative bath which leeches out while cooking, dragging the scallops sweetness and flavor with them or are IQF. While IQF processing does not harm most seafood, scallops really don't do that well and again, lose that characteristic sweetness. Find a seafood dealer you can trust and ask for 'Dry-packed scallops". These are about 30% more expensive, but about 100 times superior in taste. If you can get them "Divers scallops" are excellent, but the premium they command is more than I will pay...particularly if I can get the dry packed.
BubbaGourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
My favorite way to cook them is to broil them. Place them close to the heat and cook until golden to dark golden on top. I had them this way at the No Name restaurant in Boston and ever since then I was hooked. It is so easy to make them this way too. You don't need anything extra, just some nice scallops.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
Actaully the only good way of poaching scallops is in oyster liguer(spelling?) It has to be very light in temp as well. It is still mostly raw, which if they are really fresh diver scallops I useally eat them that way anyways.

I would stay away form anthing accidic in poaching htem, unless you are doing a cold poach of course
Jermosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #6
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I stir fry scallops in a teriyaki sauce with julienne vegetables, zucchini, carrots and red onion, and they are delicious.

My dad does them kilpatrick, wrapped in bacon, placed on skewers, drizzled with worcestershire sauce, and then broiled.

Where I am from in Tasmania, they are now cheaper than ever, as the scallop beds have been replenished after years of over harvesting. They are so sweet and delicious, yum! The shame of it, is that the most common way of eating them there is heavily breaded and deep fried, with sharp tartare sauce, such a waste of such a lovely creature.
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
Executive Chef
Love them broiled or grilled.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
Thanks for the tips on poached scallops. I'll try the seared way.
rannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
A good sauce for pan seared scallops is an orange butter sauce.

Take about 1 cups of fresh orange juice and simmer over moderate heat for about 25 minutes or until it is reduced to about 1/3 cup. Add 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream and stir while returning the mixture to a gentle simmer. Add about 5 Tbsp butter that has been cut up into small pieces, a few at a time, whisking till all the butter is incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle the orange butter sauce over the seared scallops.
Mighty good!
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Welcome to DC.

I can't afford the big scallops (love them), but I've been thinking about cutting medallions out of walleye filets and pan frying them as if they were scallops. I would add some white wine to the pan, sear the scallops with cracked black pepper,

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote