ISO Cod Fish Cakes Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Please share your favorite TNT recipe for cod fish cakes.

Thank you in advance.

My mom makes hers with a little minced and butter sweated celery and onions, plain breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, and I think either mayo or eggwhites (or both, not sure). I'll have to ask her for approximate amounts. She hasn't cooked from a recipe in 50 years or more.

Come to think of it, I think she may also add a tiny bit of mustard.

Are cod cakes dredged in egg/flour or egg/bread crumbs before frying?

My mom makes hers with a little minced and butter sweated celery and onions, plain breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, and I think either mayo or eggwhites (or both, not sure). I'll have to ask her for approximate amounts. She hasn't cooked from a recipe in 50 years or more.

Come to think of it, I think she may also add a tiny bit of mustard.

Thank you BT.

Do you poach the cod in milk or water (seasoned or not seasoned) then drain, flake/mash and add to the mashed potatoes?
Or do you cook the cod with the potatoes then drain and mash?

We always used dried salt cod that had been soaked in water for a couple of days to refresh it. The cod was then cooked in two waters, drained and combined with leftover mashed potato, a little minced onion, a little flour and eggs for a binder. My grandmother coated them with flour and fried them, I use seasoned breadcrumbs. I always made the fish cakes ahead and let them rest in the refrigerator, IMO it makes them easier to fry.

The process is so time consuming that these days I compromise and use a can of solid pack tuna with a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, onion, etc...

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom