"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
^^^Reminds me, I haven't made it in years . . .A good basic cheesecake recipe, sans sugar, add salt and pepper, some sweated down peppers, onions, and fresh herbs. .. .do a savory(I like RITZ Butter Crackers) for the crust, and you get a pretty amazing savory cheesecake. Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Coulis.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
^^^Reminds me, I haven't made it in years . . .A good basic cheesecake recipe, sans sugar, add salt and pepper, some sweated down peppers, onions, and fresh herbs. .. .do a savory(I like RITZ Butter Crackers) for the crust, and you get a pretty amazing savory cheesecake. Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Coulis.
I used to make one with smoked salmon and red lumpfish caviar. It was a great appetizer. I served it with crackers.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I used to make one with smoked salmon and red lumpfish caviar. It was a great appetizer. I served it with crackers.
That sounds like a winner too!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Head Chef

If you like Bloody Marys... combine diced seedless tomatoes, V-8 or tomato juice, worcestershire and tobasco (add diced celery or celery salt to the mix if you like), & prepared horseradish if you want a kick. Add vodka, to taste. Serve in martini glasses, topped with crab meat & diced avocado.

Here's the general idea, just for a visual...

Crab Shooters

Fire-Roasted Crab Shooters Recipe from Betty Crocker

Other ideas:

Add the crab meat to:

Fried rice
Omlettes
Crab foo yung
Crab eggrolls
Crab & cream cheese stuffed mushrooms

I like to stuff halved avocados with crab salad.

Fill rice paper wrappers with crab, avocado mango, & coleslaw mix.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

angel hair pasta tossed with bay scallops and shrimp in a fresh, garlicy, chunky tomato sauce (not a long cooked, deep sugo), topped with lump crab and fresh parsley.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Here's my favorite crab recipe ever. It's called Vodka Crab and it's so easy even a kid could do it.

1.75 liters cheap vodka, about $10-15
1 scant pound crab meat
salt
pepper

Take the container of crab meat and the bottle of vodka, and sit them near each other. Remove the lid from the vodka and chug the whole bottle. Then try and season the crab meat before you pass out and wake up in the hospital with a massive hangover and a catheter that they're going to need to remove.
Once discharged from the hospital go home and realize the crab is on the counter where you left it and it smells bad.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

A favorite Chesapeake area friend used to layer crab, bread crumbs, thin slices of ham, parmesan. If I remember right, he poured a milk/flour combination, just enough to moisten, and baked.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have also been browsing different recipes, without success. We decided to go outside the box. How does this sound, a leek flan served over mixed salad greens, crab over top with a dressing of chili, lime, garlic and honey?

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
Head Chef

Another idea... Crab ravioli with vodka tomato sauce. I usually have won-ton wrappers on hand. Put about a tablespoon of crab filling (ricotta, mozzarella and/or parmesan and green onions/chives - add a beaten egg if you like) and herbs of choice. Place another won-ton wrapper over the top and seal. Top with sauce of choice.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

honestly, too much.

crab is delicate and can be overwhelmed easily. that's why simple things like rangoon, crabcakes, oldbay boil, and simple pasta work.

just my opinion.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab, meat, other, recipe

ISO Crab Meat Recipe I picked leftover blue crab and have a scant pound of lump meat. Please no crab cakes!:smile: Any good recipes? 3 stars 1 reviews