ISO Crab Meat Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go for it, Craig. The beauty/joy of cooking, is putting things together you never thought about, and coming up with a whole new dish/idea.

honestly, too much.

crab is delicate and can be overwhelmed easily. that's why simple things like rangoon, crabcakes, oldbay boil, and simple pasta work.

just my opinion.

I thought a salad was a pretty simple thing. The flan has the onion, garlic and eggs (used as a binder in most folks crab cakes). We've dumped the filler bread crumbs. The dressing will be light and I'd bet you would find some of the dressing ingredients in the cakes or the "dressing" served with the cakes (tartar sauce). We've done nothing more than deconstruct a crab cake and serve it in a different form, adding something here and removing something there.:chef: Sorta.;) You watch, some head chef will read this, add it as an appetizer to the menu and make bookoo bucks!:ohmy::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I had a very similar and yummy salad like the crab and mango one.
The one I had omitted the cilantro,Mint, and grapefruit but added red leaf lettuce. It was pretty tasty!

My mom used to make a crab marinara--we (the children) didn't get to eat this--we were fed an hour before they ate and were already in bed, but I remember the smell of it....wish she'd let us eat at the "adult" table and try it.

The salad!

36788-albums799-picture4637t.jpg

^^^Reminds me, I haven't made it in years . . .A good basic cheesecake recipe, sans sugar, add salt and pepper, some sweated down peppers, onions, and fresh herbs. .. .do a savory(I like RITZ Butter Crackers) for the crust, and you get a pretty amazing savory cheesecake. Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Coulis.

Okay, now you are in real trouble!:ohmy: I love savory cheesecake and hadn't thought of this application.

Stuffed in mushrooms (big morels, baby bellas, or portabellas) and baked. I use a basic crab cake mixture.

Thanks folks! Don't be affraid to combine recipes to create something new. The Leek flans called for bacon, that would have been way to over powering for the crab,IMO. We subbed a little garlic instead. The clean flavor of the crab came through! Hey, if it would have been a fail, it would have been a learning experience. ;) If you're not gonna play with your food, why are you in the game?

Last edited:
Presentation is important too. Like your pic/presentation. Another way to go is timbales, i.e. crab, avocado (& tomatoes) topped with microgreens.

If you like Bloody Marys... combine diced seedless tomatoes, V-8 or tomato juice, worcestershire and tobasco (add diced celery or celery salt to the mix if you like), & prepared horseradish if you want a kick. Add vodka, to taste. Serve in martini glasses, topped with crab meat & diced avocado.
Here in Canada, this drink is known as a Caesar. But Clamato Juice is used in place of tomato juice. I'm proud to say this drink was invented in my hometown of Calgary, Alberta :D

crab is delicate and can be overwhelmed easily. that's why simple things like rangoon, crabcakes, oldbay boil, and simple pasta work.
This is why I find crab meat an excellent companion to eggs. I like to lightly fry the crab meat in oil and garlic, then add the milk and eggs. Can't go wrong!

Thanks folks! Don't be affraid to combine recipes to create something new. The Leek flans called for bacon, that would have been way to over powering for the crab,IMO. We subbed a little garlic instead. The clean flavor of the crab came through! Hey, if it would have been a fail, it would have been a learning experience. ;) If you're not gonna play with your food, why are you in the game?
Couldn't agree more. My parents always told me not to play with my food, but I never listened ;)

You made a fine choice with that crab meat. A very unique dish for sure! It presents wonderfully and I'm sure it tasted heavenly.

Here in Canada, this drink is known as a Caesar. But Clamato Juice is used in place of tomato juice. I'm proud to say this drink was invented in my hometown of Calgary, Alberta :D

This is why I find crab meat an excellent companion to eggs. I like to lightly fry the crab meat in oil and garlic, then add the milk and eggs. Can't go wrong!

Couldn't agree more. My parents always told me not to play with my food, but I never listened ;)

You made a fine choice with that crab meat. A very unique dish for sure! It presents wonderfully and I'm sure it tasted heavenly.

i am going to try it with eggs for tomorrow's dinner. gotta thaw the crab.

Are any of these recipes suitable for canned crab meat? I have a can I've had for 1-2 years, don't know why I bought it, would like to use it in some worthwhile recipe...

Are any of these recipes suitable for canned crab meat? I have a can I've had for 1-2 years, don't know why I bought it, would like to use it in some worthwhile recipe...

Though I prefer fresh, you have to have patience to pick crab without eating it and drinking beer!;) I've used canned/packaged crab, but it was refrigerated at the store and had an expiration date.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom