"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO Fantastic Fish Stories...

I have to agree with CWS. There is nothing better than fresh-caught walleye, especially from LOTW. And I live on the mighty Mississippi, home of the catfish.

Though there's nothing wrong with fresh catfish if you can't get walleye.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Disagree! Walleye from Lake of the Woods is much better than fresh catfish. And a shore lunch...on the rocks...beer batter...pan fry...nothing better. Oh, we fight over the walleye cheeks.
Disagree: There is nothing better than a mess of freshly caught yellow perch, cleaned and made into fillets on one of the little islands of the St. Mary's river that runs between SSM Mi, and SSM Ont. You fry them up in a little oil, in a heavy cast iron pan set over a cooking fire. At the same time, you slice then fry potato slices. when both are done, you put some ketchup on a slice of bread, place the fish and fried spud slices on top, cover with the second slice, after salting of course, and chow down with your best friend on a warm July day.

As a teen, I used to do that with my best friend often. I had the boat (or rather, my stepfather had the boat and let us use it all the time). We'd pick nightcrawlers the night before, in the cemetary (the richest hunting ground for nightcrawlers I ever saw). We'd get up with the sun, hop in the boat, and go fishing. Sometimes we'd take along a large tarp, find sticks on those swampy little islands, and make an impromptu tent and stay a day or two. That was seriously rustic camping. The fishing, and the friends made it worth battling all of those pesky mosquitoes though. Those potato-fish sandwiches were amazing.

My favorite is still brook trout though. To me, they have the best flavor of all fish, better than walley, better than salmon, better than cod, etc, etc. And 10 to 15 inch rainbows are just as tasty.

I like those other fish, but really, with those beautiful little Eastern Brookies, the rest are simply 2nd rate, except for maybe swordfish, the other great fish.

That's MHO.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We'll have to agree to disagree, Chief. I've had crappy, bluegill, every kind of trout imaginable, and LOTW walleye is still king.

Guess it just depends what you're raised on.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree, Chief. I've had crappy, bluegill, every kind of trout imaginable, and LOTW walleye is still king.

Guess it just depends what you're raised on.
Gotta agree with Dawgluver. We always threw the perch back. Not worth the time to clean and cook when we could bring home walleye.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Gotta agree with Dawgluver. We always threw the perch back. Not worth the time to clean and cook when we could bring home walleye.

We always threw the perch back too! And the northerns. Dad said they were wormy, though they did put up a good fight.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We always threw the perch back too! And the northerns. Dad said they were wormy, though they did put up a good fight.
We said that about perch-wormy. Don't know about the northerns--we called them snakes, too many bones. Not worth the time to clean them.

My older brother's first fish he caught was a northern. The tradition was to bring the fish home, have a picture of the kid kissing the fish. Grandma saw that he caught a northern, and told him that we didn't eat snakes, take it to the folks who had the cabin next door. Poor guy. The first fish I caught was a walleye... We also threw back burbuts, (sp), eel pout, catfish, dogfish--basically, any thing that wasn't a walleye. We did keep saugers.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We always pitched the saugers. When I was a young adult, my little (6'4") brother and I went fishing together with a boat. He filleted the walleyes we caught, and we ended up having a fish gut fight. Mom wouldn't let us in the cabin until we hosed off.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We always pitched the saugers. When I was a young adult, my little (6'4") brother and I went fishing together with a boat. We ended up having a fish gut fight. Mom wouldn't let us in the cabin until we hosed off.
If the walleye were biting, we pitched the saugers, but if we weren't catching enough walleye to feed us all, we kept the saugers. But, we never kept the perch or northerns. We'd have burgers before we'd eat those.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No offense to anyone, and we didn't mean to hijack the thread. CWS and I both grew up eating walleye from our beloved Lake of the Woods, and are very passionate about it. It's all good!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:57 AM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Disagree! Walleye from Lake of the Woods is much better than fresh catfish. And a shore lunch...on the rocks...beer batter...pan fry...nothing better. Oh, we fight over the walleye cheeks.
Walleye is fantastic camp food.

Tags
fish, recipe

ISO Fantastic Fish Stories... Aloha! We're back home from Hawaii, and I wanted to tell you about the best fish I [B]EVER ATE [/B]and the [U]most amazing part is I cooked it! [/U]We bought a nice thick piece of ONO, and a jar of [URL="http://www.nohfoods.com/all-purpose-hawaiian-seasoning-salt-8-oz/"]All Purpose Hawaiian Seasoning Salt (8 oz) - Noh Foods Hawaii[/URL] The condo where we stay has an electric range I hate, and skillets that belong in the trash, but I did have some bacon fat from breakfast so I felt brave. :wink: I was [B]very [/B]generous with the seasoning salt that contains not only Hawaiian sea salt, but also garlic, vinegar, and chili peppers. I seared the 2" thick ONO on both sides in the bacon fat, and shoved the pan in the 350d. oven for a few minutes. I must have gotten really lucky and hit that "sweet spot" where it was just seconds away from being under done! Zowers........that was the best piece of fish I've ever eaten in my very long life!! ONO is also known as [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoo]Wahoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url] Do you have a "Fabulous Fish Story"? I'd love to hear it. :wink: 3 stars 1 reviews