"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Fantastic Fish Stories...

Aloha! We're back home from Hawaii, and I wanted to tell you about the best fish I EVER ATE and the most amazing part is I cooked it!

We bought a nice thick piece of ONO, and a jar of All Purpose Hawaiian Seasoning Salt (8 oz) - Noh Foods Hawaii
The condo where we stay has an electric range I hate, and skillets that belong in the trash, but I did have some bacon fat from breakfast so I felt brave. I was very generous with the seasoning salt that contains not only Hawaiian sea salt, but also garlic, vinegar, and chili peppers. I seared the 2" thick ONO on both sides in the bacon fat, and shoved the pan in the 350d. oven for a few minutes. I must have gotten really lucky and hit that "sweet spot" where it was just seconds away from being under done!
Zowers........that was the best piece of fish I've ever eaten in my very long life!!

ONO is also known as Wahoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you have a "Fabulous Fish Story"? I'd love to hear it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The absolute best fish we ever ate was after a VERY long plane trip to Maui from here in the heartland. Exhausted, we popped into a beachside restaurant, met Loretta, the parrot, and had the most exquisite piece of macadamia crusted mahi mahi (also known as dolphin, but no relation to Flipper, it's a fish, not a mammal) ever. DH and I still talk about it. The second best fish is the nasty, predatory lionfish, coconut crusted, at one of our favorite places in Mexico. And right up there is the walleye my dad and I would catch on Lake of the Woods in Ontario. Just fried in butter.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
The absolute best fish we ever ate was after a VERY long plane trip to Maui from here in the heartland. Exhausted, we popped into a beachside restaurant, met Loretta, the parrot, and had the most exquisite piece of macadamia crusted mahi mahi (also known as dolphin, but no relation to Flipper, it's a fish, not a mammal) ever. DH and I still talk about it. The second best fish is the nasty, predatory lionfish, coconut crusted, at one of our favorite places in Mexico. And right up there is the walleye my dad and I would catch on Lake of the Woods in Ontario. Just fried in butter.
Ahhhh yes, Mahi Mahi Dawg, also known as Dorado in Mexico. Many moons ago my late husband and I came home with a dry ice chest filled with Dorado. Mahi-mahi or "Dorado&quot fish pictures and species identification

Thanks for the lip smacking report.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes! Dorado! Ohhh, how I would love to catch and bring one home. When you fish there and bring it in, any restaurant will cook it up for you. They serve it with a variety of sauces and sides.

Drat. I saw a recent video where a guy was showing off his mahi catch, and a seal jumped up and stole it! Just grabbed its tail from the boat and took off!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

About 45-50 years ago, I had a friend who like to fish off the coast of Gloucester MA. He kept raving about bluefish. I finally got him to bring me some. That was one delicious fish.

Years later, when I was working in Gloucester, I dropped in on the IT Manager and we got to chatting. He reached into his desk and pulled out a mason jar of ugly looking dried up cubes of some kind of flesh and offered me a piece. He wouldn't tell me what it was until after I tasted it. WOW, it was extraordinary - smoked bluefish.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Master Chef

The very first thing that came to mind was back in my camping and fishing days, the last camping trip was about 15 years ago. I'll never forget how good fresh caught brook trout is, lightly seasoned and fried in a cast iron pan over an open campfire. Gosh, those were the days....
Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Master Chef

Yep, those were the days Cheryl when life was so sweet and simple camping and cooking in the great outdoors. Our kids actually talked to us by the campfire because there was nothing else for them to do without a single "portable electronic gadget" yet invented. Sigh..

Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a couple of fish stories I made wahoo a few years ago, smeared with olive oil and fresh herbs from my garden, seared in my cast-iron grill pan. So yummy!

No. 2: The first time I had Dover sole was in a historic restaurant in Ireland - pan-seared and served with a lemony sauce with currants. Delicious!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I was married to a commercial fisherman. On the very last catch, he would find the largest Haddock and gut it for me. He would bring it home minus the head and filet it in the house. Regardless of the size, I would always cook the whole thing for supper.

One day he came through the door and told me to clear off the kitchen table. He then came in with a Haddock that had been gutted, but still had the head on it. That thing hung over both ends of the table. That fish was less than three hours old. The tail was still curled upwards. It was spotted swimming along side the boat as it was headed in to dock. My husband and another fisherman grabbed an instrument that was on deck and they speared it. Getting it aboard was another thing.

He fileted it and cut off the head. Now I always cooked the whole fish that he brought home that night. There was no way I was going to cook all of this one. I gave some to my landlady upstairs along with the frame and head. She always made fish chowder. I put aside some for supper and the rest got wrapped for the freezer in meal size packets.

I then baked the filets for supper just plain with some lemon squeezed on it. It was so fresh tasting. Even the kids noticed the difference. Sitting here, I can still taste it and my mouth is watering.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #10
Master Chef

If shrimp count, I can still almost taste the fresh grilled shrimp I had when we went to our timeshare resort in Fort Myers Beach for the first time. We checked in on our 38th wedding anniversary and wanted to go somewhere "special". After suggestions from the resort staff and looking at menus we gave up. Went riding around until we ended up at the old fish market/dockside bar and restaurant in town. Himself remembered going to that same market with his Dad when he would visit his parents in the early 1970s before we were married. The shrimp was simply prepared, but it was delicious since it had just been swimming in the gulf about three hours earlier.

If you want my best fish ever story involving a fish, it is my memory of going to the local bar (back when it was OK for a kid of 8 to come in with their parent) for the Friday Fish Fry. All you could eat Lake Erie perch. They are my favorite fresh water fish.

Tags
fish, recipe

ISO Fantastic Fish Stories... Aloha! We're back home from Hawaii, and I wanted to tell you about the best fish I [B]EVER ATE [/B]and the [U]most amazing part is I cooked it! [/U]We bought a nice thick piece of ONO, and a jar of [URL="http://www.nohfoods.com/all-purpose-hawaiian-seasoning-salt-8-oz/"]All Purpose Hawaiian Seasoning Salt (8 oz) - Noh Foods Hawaii[/URL] The condo where we stay has an electric range I hate, and skillets that belong in the trash, but I did have some bacon fat from breakfast so I felt brave. :wink: I was [B]very [/B]generous with the seasoning salt that contains not only Hawaiian sea salt, but also garlic, vinegar, and chili peppers. I seared the 2" thick ONO on both sides in the bacon fat, and shoved the pan in the 350d. oven for a few minutes. I must have gotten really lucky and hit that "sweet spot" where it was just seconds away from being under done! Zowers........that was the best piece of fish I've ever eaten in my very long life!! ONO is also known as [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoo]Wahoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url] Do you have a "Fabulous Fish Story"? I'd love to hear it. :wink: 3 stars 1 reviews