ISO Good Salmon Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chubbs

Cook
I had canned salmon made into patties,it was ok.I plan to get some fresh from the deli.Not getting a whole,just enough to feed one.For sides I will have panko breaded shrimp,hush puppys,& wild/blk/brown rice.I am not a fan of lemon or pineapple on meats.I'm kinda lost what I really want to add to the salmon.I love all kinds of cheese(but blue),bbq,tomato,onion,garlic,& hot peppers.My spice stash is small,but I can get more of course:).
Deep fry,bake,broil,or just cooked on a skillet,open to any.
Thanks

I like steamed salmon with a fresh avocado sauce (goes great with avocado).

Salmon baked in the oven with a pesto and breadcrumbs topping

Sweet chillie salmon - mixed with soy sauce, oyster sauce,mirin, sweet chillie sauce, garlic and ginger, mixed together, with the salmon cut into chunks and then grilled.

Salmon ideas

I'm a salmon fisherman and my fav way to do it at the minute is lying your fresh salmon on a sprig of rosemary splashed lightly with soy sauce in a tin foil parcel in the oven cooking in its own juices...........basic but with some mustard mash and some asparagus tips alongside its wonderful:yum:

Oh yes a foil parcel is ideal 44Allan - I add some white wine, butter and fresh herbs. Keep the juices and add a bit of lemon and reduce to a nice sauce.

put skinless/boneless salmon,breadcrumbs,an egg white,chopped shallot,basil,salt & pepper in a processor,pulse to chop(don't puree),shape into burgers,chill for 30 mins then griddle or barbeque.on a bun with chips(sorry fries!) & a dollop of ketchup...yum
harry

I can't stand salmon, but I do like nova, lox and gravlax. I know, its weird.;)

Poached - white wine, water, bay leaf & black peppercorns, with sour cream and dill sauce.

Grilled & serve topped with a pat of butter or compound butter of choice.

Steamed with green beans and slices of lime.

If there are any leftovers, I make a salad nicoise/salmon salad, or a "Salmon Martini" appetizer with avocado, lime juice etc.

I'm not usually a fan of fish & cheese, however, I did try a stuffed and rolled salmon dish w/ feta etc from the market I enjoyed; and found a similar recipe at Whole Foods.

Cedar-planked, is another way to go.

For sides, lemon and/or lime rice & oven-roasted cherry tomatoes (stuffed with a clove of garlic - optional)..

Last edited:
Chubbs, can you grill? If you can, I mean if you have grill, Grilled salmon is great. Otherwise like peoples have said baked or broiled. The Important thing not to over cook it. Salmon becomes really tough if over cooked.

I love salmon, raw, broiled, grilled, baked, canned, smokked cold or hot, did I say raw. But poached eww, yuk. Brrrr, cannot even think about it. Everybody has their own taste.

We eat so much salmon here on the west coast and love it many different ways. I like to take filet portions, spread them with melted peach or apricot preserves and grill them. We just eat it with a spinach salad with white balsamic vinaigrette.

I have a great salmon patty recipe which I will try and dig out and post. I again use filet portions. I buy a large filet, cut it into four to 6 ounce portions and use them in various dishes.

Good Morning Harry,

I had posted an Ullapool Highland salmon in sparkling white wine & cream sauce recipe which had been given to me by the Altnharrie Inn back in the early 1990s. Perhaps, this may interest you & yours. ( in the Fish section )

A couple of other ideas:

Normally, I am purist when it comes to fresh wild whole caught salmon, however, we are Urban Urban ( centre Madrid Capital ) and do not have BBQ or Smokers or any of this and never have ... I am from the Skyscrapers and cement ... however, on the ocean.

So, oven bake in white wine, a drizzle of lemon and sea salt or Maldon and freshly grinded black, rose, green pepper and Evoo rubbed with herbs of choice ... basil, parsley, oregano, fennel seed or perhaps dill are good choices and minced garlic.

Another, Teriyaki salmon ... though I do not touch Soy, I make it for the Vet, as he has a penchant for the dish. I do Sashimi with wasabe, never soy or its by products.

It is prepared as follows:

grated fresh ginger to taste
teriyaki sauce
fresh squeezed orange juice 1 glass
orange zest
4 green scallions minced

*** MARINATE the salmon for 2 to 3 hrs. and then, oven bake or grill in Evoo. Make extra marinade for sauce dipping.

I had posted awhile back on the Pasta Section: salmone strozzapretti, which is a nice pasta dish which I normally make with firm white fish, sea bass or cod fish, however, I had tried it with salmon and it was lovely. The thing is, I only like my salmon with a rare interior like my steak.

Have nice wkend.
M.Cintrano.

Last edited:
Poached - white wine, water, bay leaf & black peppercorns, with sour cream and dill sauce.

Grilled & serve topped with a pat of butter or compound butter of choice.

Steamed with green beans and slices of lime.

If there are any leftovers, I make a salad nicoise/salmon salad, or a "Salmon Martini" appetizer with avocado, lime juice etc.

I'm not usually a fan of fish & cheese, however, I did try a stuffed and rolled salmon dish w/ feta etc from the market I enjoyed; and found a similar recipe at Whole Foods.

Cedar-planked, is another way to go.

For sides, lemon and/or lime rice & oven-roasted cherry tomatoes (stuffed with a clove of garlic - optional)..

Here's the idea re the stuffed salmon dish I bought at the market, except it was butterflied and stuffed with feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. The Dijon mustard sounds lovely too. When you slice the salmon, you see spirals of the stuffing ingredients.

Roasted Stuffed Salmon | WholeFoodsMarket.com

I served mine with grilled asparagus. You could adapt it to your taste. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Good Morning Harry,

I had posted an Ullapool Highland salmon in sparkling white wine & cream sauce recipe which had been given to me by the Altnharrie Inn back in the early 1990s. Perhaps, this may interest you & yours. ( in the Fish section )

A couple of other ideas:

Normally, I am purist when it comes to fresh wild whole caught salmon, however, we are Urban Urban ( centre Madrid Capital ) and do not have BBQ or Smokers or any of this and never have ... I am from the Skyscrapers and cement ... however, on the ocean.

So, oven bake in white wine, a drizzle of lemon and sea salt or Maldon and freshly grinded black, rose, green pepper and Evoo rubbed with herbs of choice ... basil, parsley, oregano, fennel seed or perhaps dill are good choices and minced garlic.

Another, Teriyaki salmon ... though I do not touch Soy, I make it for the Vet, as he has a penchant for the dish. I do Sashimi with wasabe, never soy or its by products.

It is prepared as follows:

grated fresh ginger to taste
teriyaki sauce
fresh squeezed orange juice 1 glass
orange zest
4 green scallions minced

*** MARINATE the salmon for 2 to 3 hrs. and then, oven bake or grill in Evoo. Make extra marinade for sauce dipping.

I had posted awhile back on the Pasta Section: salmone strozzapretti, which is a nice pasta dish which I normally make with firm white fish, sea bass or cod fish, however, I had tried it with salmon and it was lovely. The thing is, I only like my salmon with a rare interior like my steak.

Have nice wkend.
M.Cintrano.
all sounds delicious:chef: margi.i guess my fav salmon dish is not really a "dish" simply wild line caught scottish smoked salmon,irish brown soda bread a squeeze of lemon a twist of black pepper a touch of horse radish & yep,you guessed! a sip or two of ice cold manzanilla:yum:!
if i'm entertaining & cooking salmon i like to get a good quality "tsar" cut of farmed salmon(emphasis on the quality) & either slice wafer thin & eat raw or score the flesh & work into each cut a mixture of butter,pureed garlic,fresh thyme,salt,pepper & grated lemon zest.seal in an oven roasting bag as the lemon/salt can react with foil & bake for 10/15 mins in a hot oven.serve simply with steamed baby new potatoes & asparagus...heaven!
what is evoo margi?
you have a good weekend too!
harry

An old New England 4th of July tradition was to serve creamed salmon and peas over mashed potatoes. My mother made this all the time. I loved it. :yum:

When it comes to salmon, I like to keep things very simple. I usually rub it with a little good quality olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, and throw it on the grill until just done. In fact, I cook it until almost done and then tent it under foil off the grill to finish. As CharlieD mentioned, you must be very careful not to overcook salmon, otherwise it will be dry and tough. I've seen far too much expensive fish ruined by overcooking.

Harry do you not remember the wild salmon sent down from Scotland by Mrs Owen. It was wrapped in cabbage leaves and put on the mail train overnight from Kirkcudbright. Mum used to put it in the fish kettle, cover with water, bring to a boil, turn the heat off, put the lid on and leave till cold.She also had a way with salmon heads?

@ Chubbs: Apologies for Not Posting To Your Attention

:) Chubbs,

In accident, I thought this was Harry´s thread originally. Sorry guy.

I have posted a lovely Salmon recipe with Sparkling Wine on separate thread in the Fish Section and have a Pasta with Salmon ( salmone strozzapretti, a historical northern Italian dish - explained on thread ) which is lovely too, on the Pasta Section ...

Have lovely wkend.
Margi.

Harry do you not remember the wild salmon sent down from Scotland by Mrs Owen. It was wrapped in cabbage leaves and put on the mail train overnight from Kirkcudbright. Mum used to put it in the fish kettle, cover with water, bring to a boil, turn the heat off, put the lid on and leave till cold.She also had a way with salmon heads?
sure do bro',and the salmon that the manifolds used to catch on the dee(now forget scottish,dee salmon is the best!)& dad would give one or two to eric(can't spell his surname) for smoking.
happy days!
H

While I have & enjoy many different recipes for salmon, my two favorites are the simplest:

Teriyaki style - use a commercial teriyaki sauce or make your own (really just soy sauce with a touch of honey, a bit of grated ginger, some minced garlic, & some minced scallions) & grill, bake, or broil.

Plain baked with dill butter - simply dot fish with unsalted butter, top with lots of chopped fresh dill, & finish with some very thinkly sliced fresh lemon. Bake at 350F until fish flakes.

Back
Top Bottom