ISO Louisiana Shrimp Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawnsey

Assistant Cook
I'm desperately trying to locate a recipe I used to make. I remember that it had Tabasco in it, and the shrimp were sauteed in the sauce with the shells on. I've tried the Tabasco website, and various search engines, but can't recreate it. Does anyone have a recipe similar to this?

Is this it? I've made this several times, and absolutely love it.

Cajun Barbecued Shrimp
Yields: 2 servings

This is one of those “messy” dishes. For the best service, completely clear your table, and lay down a lot of newspaper. Have lots of paper towels, napkins, or those alcohol wipes for BBQ.
If you can’t get shrimp with the heads on, just double the amount of shrimp, and use the shell on tails. However, you really should try this dish with head-on shrimp at least once, as there is a nugget of shrimp fat between the head and tail that is really good.

2 dz large shrimp with heads and tails
Seasoning Mix:
½ t cayenne
½ t black pepper
½ t salt
¼ t crushed red pepper
½ t thyme
½ t rosemary
1/8 t oregano
¼ # (1 stick) butter, + 5 T, in all
1 ½ t minced garlic
1 t Worcestershire
½ c shrimp stock
¼ beer at room temp

Rinse the shrimp in cold water and drain. Then, pinch of the part of the head from the eyes forward, careful to leave the spine protruding out. Leave as much as possible of the orange shrimp fat. In a small bowl, combine the seasoning mix ingredients. Combine the 1 stick of butter, the garlic, Worcestershire, and seasoning mix in a large skillet over high heat. When the butter is melted, add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes, shaking the pan back and forth, not stirring. Add the remaining 5 T of butter and the stock, cook and shake the pan for 2 minutes more. Add the beer and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Serve on a large plate, with a mound of rice in the center.

Allen - that looks pretty darn close! I'll give it a try and see. Thanks for your help!

Here's one that I prefer.............the CHEAP wine MAKES this dish, don't do without it!!!!

Long before it was so popular to throw some jumbo shrimp on the grill and smear some half-good sauce on them, the fine people of New Orleans were enjoying the original barbecued shrimp recipes. This is my own variation of the famous Pascal Manale's recipe. I believe they created this wonderful dish, and no the shrimp don't actually touch the grill. Why are they called "barbecued"? Beats me........

Before I get started let me just familiarize you all with me, I don't measure anything when I cook and I never write my recipes down. So anything I post will be from memory and the measurements will be as close as I can approximate them

You will need -
1 pound of butter
1/4 cup olive oil
2 pinches cayenne pepper
4 pinches of black pepper
a few shakes from the salt shaker (not more than a teaspoon I'd say)
1 teaspoon ground rosemary
Juice from 2 large lemons
3-4 oz worcestershire (start with 3 add more to taste if needed)
5 cloves garlic finely minced
1 small onion minced very fine
couple tablespoons parsely
1/2 to 1 cup cheap wine (depends on your taste)
4 pounds JUMBO shrimp, heads on

On the wine, the cheaper the better with this recipe. I very much prefer to use thunderbird and buy it in the pint size bottle and just use what I need to taste. Another variation (the original recipe I believe) uses beer instead of the wine and it is great as well, i just prefer the wine.

melt one stick of butter and saute the onions, garlic, rosemary and other seasonings for a few minutes. Melt the other three sticks of butter with the olive oil, wocestershire, lemon juice and wine. Add the sauted mix.
Wash shrimp and keep the heads and shells on. Place in the bottom of a large baking dish. Pour the butter and stuff over the shrimp and make sure that they are at LEAST halfway covered, but you may not need to use it all. If its not enough though, add more butter and a little more wine. Bake a 350 for about 12-15 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with french bread to sop up the juice. Be prepared to slap yo momma.

As much as I would like to have this 2 times a month, I limit it to a couple times a year for obvious reasons. Nothing like a stick of butter or two in the belly!

Enjoy.

I think this was actually my first ever post over here. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316&highlight=barbecued+shrimp

Last edited:
ALSO................some people don't like to fool with cooked shrimp that still have the heads on........this recipe is better left that way, but I have experimented with headless shrimp (shells still on though) and it comes out fine.

I forgot to mention that the recipe I posted is Paul Prudhomme's recipe, from "Louisiana Kitchen".

You're right, many people are put off by shrimp with the heads on. However, there is a nugget of orange shrimp fat between the head and tail that is absolutely righteous!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom