ISO new recipe for a non fish lover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try fish pie, poach cod fillets in milk with a few bay leaves,pepper corns ect,drain the fish and sieve and reserve the stock.
Plaice the flaked fish in a baking dish, make a bechamel using the stock and add loads of chopped parsley then pour over the fish. leave to set up then cover with cheesy mashed pots, bake in oven till golden.

Try fish pie, poach cod fillets in milk with a few bay leaves,pepper corns ect,drain the fish and sieve and reserve the stock.
Plaice the flaked fish in a baking dish, make a bechamel using the stock and add loads of chopped parsley then pour over the fish. leave to set up then cover with cheesy mashed pots, bake in oven till golden.
Now that sounds mighty good!!! I reckon it would be good with bass or catfish fillets. I will have to try it and let y'all know!!

I remembered when I saw you say this earlier that my ex told me the same thing. He even promised to make me some that Id love no matter what, but he never got around to it. Oh well.

Those walleyes need to be out of the lake today, fileted, rolled in cornmeal, fried in a CI skillet on a wood-fired stove in a cabin in the Ontario woods. A close second is the bacon & egg breakfast the next morning, with woodsmoke in the air.

Ah, memories of vacations past from a lower-48'er.

That does sound pretty darn good!

Those walleyes need to be out of the lake today, fileted, rolled in cornmeal, fried in a CI skillet on a wood-fired stove in a cabin in the Ontario woods. A close second is the bacon & egg breakfast the next morning, with woodsmoke in the air.

Ah, memories of vacations past from a lower-48'er.

My favorite 'up north' vacation was when we rented a cabin up in north Idaho.
My favorite Canadian vacation was when I turned 18 and we drove on up just over from Detroit. lol

I am going to try to get some walleye soon.

Your plaice or mine?:LOL:

Fish on the brain?

As a kid and young woman I didn't like either fish or shellfish, fresh or frozen or ... anything. Then at age 27 I moved to Hawaii. I love raw beef and tuna (ahi) sashimi was a revelation. I moved on from there. I agree that soaking filets of anything in some milk for an hour or so can make the "fishy" flavor either go away, or get milder. But black pepper on a good tuna steak, then cooked as you would a pepper steak won't be fishy.

Back in my practicing Catholic days, the only way I liked fish was chopped and added to a mixture of grated potatoes, onions, with maybe an egg to hold it all together. My mom was at wit's end, because, in fact, she didn't like fish either. (do not ask my why it didn't occur to her to simply feed us a cheesy pasta or potato dish with a salad or other green veggie and just forget the fish concept). We called it "fish hash" and ate it with catsup, steak sauce, tartar sauce, or shrimp cocktail sauce.

Last edited:
As a kid and young woman I didn't like either fish or shellfish, fresh or frozen or ... anything. Then at age 27 I moved to Hawaii. I love raw beef and tuna (ahi) sashimi was a revelation. I moved on from there. I agree that soaking filets of anything in some milk for an hour or so can make the "fishy" flavor either go away, or get milder. But black pepper on a good tuna steak, then cooked as you would a pepper steak won't be fishy.

Back in my practicing Catholic days, the only way I liked fish was chopped and added to a mixture of grated potatoes, onions, with maybe an egg to hold it all together. My mom was at wit's end, because, in fact, she didn't like fish either. (do not ask my why it didn't occur to her to simply feed us a cheesy pasta or potato dish with a salad or other green veggie and just forget the fish concept). We called it "fish hash" and ate it with catsup, steak sauce, tartar sauce, or shrimp cocktail sauce.

Thanks!! I was going to buy fish today but none looked really good. The fish hash sounds like itd be a good way to start to eat fish.

bolas, your fish pie sounds delicious, and positively norwegian. white food with a white starch and white sauce, lol.

and the romano looks really good. gonna have to try that soon.

jpb, my boss has a technique of filleting bluefish while still on the boat wherein you remove the lateral line first, then cut your filets from both sides. it takes almist all of that unpleasent gaminess out of the fish, leaving sweet, firm delicious flesh to cook.

as far as a tasty fish recipe goes, how about slicing sweet onion and a bulb of fennel very thinly to make a sort of slaw, then toss it with evoo, balsamic vinegar, lemon thyme ( or regular thyme and some lemon juice), and s&p.
stuff this into the body cavity of a whole fish, rub fish with olive oil and s&p, and tie with butchers twine to help hold in the slaw.
grill or bake the stuffed fish until cooked through, maybe 25 minutes or so for baking. grilling is quicker.

i've made this with trout and red snapper, trout being my fave. it works especially well with bony fish since after cooking, the meat flakes away using a fork, leaving the intact skeleton behind.

if you can tackle (excuse the pun) this one, you can eat any fish.

Back
Top Bottom