ISO not so fishy fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grouper is a wonderful firm, mild tasting fish.

My favorite way to prepare it is to cut it into inch and a half chunks and poach it in a little Italian salad dressing, nothing else needed. The vinegary taste of the salad dressing goes away, leaving all those lovely spices. It doesn't get much better tasting than that and could not possibly be easier.

Seriously BT? That is GROSS!

you run that rish with all farmed fish, unless you know personally the source of the farm and exactly how they do it. Farmed fish from other than the USA (much comes from Southeast Asia) is not recommended by health folks. and personally, I won't purchase farmed fish other than domestic catfish, which is raised in freshwater ponds and not muddy, like the ones we ate as kids.

My personal recommendation to OP is to stick with white fleshed fish that he knows are fresh. If you can smell fish, you don't want to buy that. and cook it the same day.

Fresh wild Alaskan Halibut is definitely not a fishy fish. Spread the fillet with a thin film of Dijon mustard and coat the top with seasoned bread crumbs (made from fresh bread, not tinned) Bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 10 minutes (10 minutes per 1 inch of thickiness of the fish is a good rule of thumb), then run under the broiler for a few seconds to brown the crumb topping.

i know it's hypocritical as i love pork and they inadvertantly eat excrement,
No self-respecting pig farmer would EVER let his/her hogs eat excrement! I don't know where you got that misinformation, BT. My grandfather and two of my uncles raised pork for market, and I helped in a lot of their procedures growing up. I can tell you for a fact that pigs are the cleanest animals on the farm. They are very fastidious. The fact that they love to roll in the mud does not make them dirty. And they do not eat garbage, and certainly not excrement.

tilapia, cod, roughy, flounder. cut them w/ citrus/butter. fiance may well luv them thereafter! wink.

I love fish but I find Tilapia and catfish to taste muddy to me.Even when fresh.The only way I have enjoyed Talapia is in Sweet and Sour fish.it can stand up to the sweet.

i despise mudsucking phishies. my Dad cooked catfish here & there, & luvs crawdads & they weren't 4 me!~ tilapioa, though, i find 2 be very mild~

Un-fishy fish:
fresh tuna, with the blood line, back, and belly removed
Cod
Red Snapper
Flounder
Perch
Smelt
Small Mouth Bass
Whitefish
Herring
Catfish
Sunfish
Crappie
Walleye

And for canned tuna, not all canned tuna is albacore, only the white tuna, and it is the tuna with the heavy metal and dioxin contaminants.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Just snorted my ice tea Andy. :ROFLMAO:

As for "fishy tasting" fresh fish, I think salmon is at the top of my list. I just don't get the popularity of salmon.:glare:

I really enjoy salmon but SO dislikes it. When I'm having salmon, I cook haddock for her. On the other hand, we both love swordfish.

Just snorted my ice tea Andy. :ROFLMAO:

As for "fishy tasting" fresh fish, I think salmon is at the top of my list. I just don't get the popularity of salmon.:glare:
I will agree with you mostly with cooked salmon.

Now raw salmon is a fish of another color. Raw it is one of the best tasting things ever and does not taste fishy at all.

Salmon has several things going for it:

*It has a high fillet to waste ratio. A 10 pound salmon may yield 7 lbs. of fillets.
* Salmon has a unique, yet un-fishy flavor (a matter of taste). The skin crisps into nice texture, and the meat flakes, letting you see that it's cooked properly as it's served. Smoked salmon acquires an almost sweetness to it, and in the Pacific Northwest it's sometimes referred to as "Squaw Candy."
*Salmon is abundant and is a self-renewing food source.
*It's readily available fresh, frozen, dehydrated, smoked, salt packed or canned.
*There are probably more different recipes for preparing salmon than any other ocean fish.

I prefer mine smoked, then dehydrated with a soy-honey glaze!!! :in_love:

Last edited:
Salmon is one of my favorite foods, but I concede it is definitely in the "fishy fish" category. I would never cook it for someone who is not (pardon the pun ;)) an aficionado.

Andy, have you ever had ceviche made with swordfish? TO DIE FOR!!!

Here in Chile swordfish and sea bass (corvina) is common in ceviche. Reneita a cheap and very tasty fish is also used.

Salmon carpaccio is also common. For that they make salmon ceviche then lay it out tile like, add cheese and capers top with lemon, really good stuff. But all of the ceviche is in the citrus for only a few minutes before serving and I have not seen any chiles in the ceviche.

I will agree with you mostly with cooked salmon.

Now raw salmon is a fish of another color. Raw it is one of the best tasting things ever and does not taste fishy at all.

I'd agree with that GB....I love salmon sushi and I also like smoked salmon, but cooked salmon just doesn't do it for me....sumpin evil happens to it.:devilish::cry:

Hey everyone, i'm new here, but i've got a real quick question. I personally love pretty much any kind of fish, but my fiance pretty much hates any kind of fish (with the exception of tuna, which IMO does not count).

My question is, what kind of fish does not have that really strong "fishy" flavor? And what would be a good way to make it so that someone who doesnt really care for fish might like it?

Thanks everyone!

I just posted this recipe for you mike. I bet your honey would like it.
Hope this helps.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/fabulous-fish-italiano-67408.html#post925734

BT, no one raises hogs that way anymore. Modern high volume hog farming techniques are very different. Check this out:

HowStuffWorks "Hog Raising"

thanks andy. interesting info.

chefjune, relax your pits. i wasn't attempting an agenda of "misinformation". coprophagia is common amongst many animals, especially pigs.

the reason why farmers try to avoid letting their pigs eat their own or other animals excrement is a higher risk of parasite infection.

unless you helped your uncles with piggy pooper scoopers, they probably ate some poop.

Last edited:
As someone who absolutely hated fish until I was pushing 30 and hubby got assigned to Hawaii:

I don't care what anyone says, to me any of the higher fat fish (salmon for example) taste too fishy. And, as a kid, I hated the canned tuna we ate on Fridays during lent.

Hawaii undid my pre-conceived notions about the flavor of fish. I love raw beef, and so I took to ahi sashimi like a fish to water. Now, living in the midwest, I will buy tuna that has been flown in. I also like swordfish. For local fish, I like trout and perch. They are all mild. I'll eat canned tuna if it is all white in water. That gray stuff in oil that was all we could get when I was young is out of there. Actually, the gray to black lines that go through many fish is way too strong for me.

I've come a long way from the fish hating kid I was (and in my twenties, anything really good was out of my price range), but I still am somewhat fussy about eating fish. It has to be really mild.

Problems arise in cooked fish such as salmon and tuna when it's improperly prepared. That grey-oily tuna meat is the blood line. It should have been removed before the tuna was cooked. The same is true of the flesh under the dorsal fin and along the belly. That is where the nasty flavors come from. The flavor of fish fat is about the same as cod liver oil. Prepared properly, both salmon and tuna are excellent fish. Yes, they do have a pronounced flavor, just as beef has its own flavor. But it's not that fishy flavor that is much like the smell of a fish shop. As for swordfish and brook trout, they taste very similar to me. Brook trout that's been brought to life in hatcheries is very mild in flavor. I prefer wild trout, with that beautiful light orange flesh. But that's my choice.

Not everyone is going to like strong flavored fish, or even medium strong flavored fish. My eldest daughter doesn't like cooked salmon or trout, but loves swordfish. I'm not crazy about some of the extremely mild fish. To me they are boring and tasteless.

I think it has something to do with the sensitivity of our taste buds as well. As a kid, I hated rye bread with caraway seeds, and horseradish. As I grew older, as with everyone, my tastebuds lost some of their sensitivity. One day, I found that I loved rye bread with caraway seeds, and horseradish. The flavors of the ingredients hadn't changed. But my sensitivity to them did. Salt became less salty. Horseradish had less bite. Unfortunately, though I still love them, blueberries don't taste as amazing as they did when I was a kid. It's simply the nature of things.

My point is, you may not like the flavor of a kind of fish today. But in another ten years, it may taste wonderful to you. And a tip for the op. Your partner may not like the flavor of some kinds of fish. But that doesn't mean that if you do like them, you can't have them. Try making the fish in foil packets, with a bit of butter, some sliced potatoes and carrots. Both of you will have what you want, individualized to your taste preferences. She doesn't even have to have fish in her foil pouch. She can have chicken, or beef, or whatever. you will both enjoy a good meal together, and that's what eating together is all about, enjoying it together.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom