"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Grouper is a wonderful firm, mild tasting fish.

My favorite way to prepare it is to cut it into inch and a half chunks and poach it in a little Italian salad dressing, nothing else needed. The vinegary taste of the salad dressing goes away, leaving all those lovely spices. It doesn't get much better tasting than that and could not possibly be easier.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Seriously BT? That is GROSS!
you run that rish with all farmed fish, unless you know personally the source of the farm and exactly how they do it. Farmed fish from other than the USA (much comes from Southeast Asia) is not recommended by health folks. and personally, I won't purchase farmed fish other than domestic catfish, which is raised in freshwater ponds and not muddy, like the ones we ate as kids.

My personal recommendation to OP is to stick with white fleshed fish that he knows are fresh. If you can smell fish, you don't want to buy that. and cook it the same day.

Fresh wild Alaskan Halibut is definitely not a fishy fish. Spread the fillet with a thin film of Dijon mustard and coat the top with seasoned bread crumbs (made from fresh bread, not tinned) Bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 10 minutes (10 minutes per 1 inch of thickiness of the fish is a good rule of thumb), then run under the broiler for a few seconds to brown the crumb topping.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...i know it's hypocritical as i love pork and they inadvertantly eat excrement,...

BT, no one raises hogs that way anymore. Modern high volume hog farming techniques are very different. Check this out:

HowStuffWorks "Hog Raising"
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
i know it's hypocritical as i love pork and they inadvertantly eat excrement,
No self-respecting pig farmer would EVER let his/her hogs eat excrement! I don't know where you got that misinformation, BT. My grandfather and two of my uncles raised pork for market, and I helped in a lot of their procedures growing up. I can tell you for a fact that pigs are the cleanest animals on the farm. They are very fastidious. The fact that they love to roll in the mud does not make them dirty. And they do not eat garbage, and certainly not excrement.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #25
Master Chef

tilapia, cod, roughy, flounder. cut them w/ citrus/butter. fiance may well luv them thereafter! wink.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I love fish but I find Tilapia and catfish to taste muddy to me.Even when fresh.The only way I have enjoyed Talapia is in Sweet and Sour fish.it can stand up to the sweet.
i despise mudsucking phishies. my Dad cooked catfish here & there, & luvs crawdads & they weren't 4 me!~ tilapioa, though, i find 2 be very mild~
Old 10-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
Master Chef

Un-fishy fish:
fresh tuna, with the blood line, back, and belly removed
Cod
Red Snapper
Flounder
Perch
Smelt
Small Mouth Bass
Whitefish
Herring
Catfish
Sunfish
Crappie
Walleye

And for canned tuna, not all canned tuna is albacore, only the white tuna, and it is the tuna with the heavy metal and dioxin contaminants.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

How hard would it have been to come up with a name for a fish other than crappie?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
Master Chef

Just snorted my ice tea Andy.

As for "fishy tasting" fresh fish, I think salmon is at the top of my list. I just don't get the popularity of salmon.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just snorted my ice tea Andy.

As for "fishy tasting" fresh fish, I think salmon is at the top of my list. I just don't get the popularity of salmon.
I really enjoy salmon but SO dislikes it. When I'm having salmon, I cook haddock for her. On the other hand, we both love swordfish.

Tags
None