"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO not so fishy fish?

Hey everyone, i'm new here, but i've got a real quick question. I personally love pretty much any kind of fish, but my fiance pretty much hates any kind of fish (with the exception of tuna, which IMO does not count).

My question is, what kind of fish does not have that really strong "fishy" flavor? And what would be a good way to make it so that someone who doesnt really care for fish might like it?

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
If she like those tuna from tin, how about making a nice real tuna steak if you can find a fresh quality fillet? That may well be her gateway to the world of seafood
Usually those strong typical "funk" comes from the less than freshest fish, but if you live somewhere it is impossible to find such superfresh fish, try ocean perch, haddock or flounder fillets. Or if they are available try baccalà (salted cod), very very versatile you can do many "fish-hater friendly" dishes.
I also stress on making a dish with a fillet, instead of the whole fish. Those who are not used to fish dishes may be turned off by the sight of a figure of a dead fish on a plate!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Half Baked

I refuse to buy my fish wrapped in cellophane!You can't smell it and it probably didn't get into that wrap the same day.
Go to descent fish market and smell the fish.
it's eyes should bright and clear too.

Cod is one of my favorites and is a meaty white flesh fish.A good old fashioned fish fry is a great way of getting people to eat fish who normally don't.
You can dip potato wedges,whole cloves of garlic and any vegetable into the same batter and fry.i suggest you do the fish last so everthing has a cleaner flavor.

Another great way is put fish portions in foil packs with
herbs and vegggies and little white wine and bake them.

Grilled is awsome too and gives that smoke flavor a little.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Good fish does not smell "fishy!"

A mild fish that is readily available, very fresh or fresh frozen, would be:

Trout, tilapia, salmon, catfish.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Good fish does not smell "fishy!"

A mild fish that is readily available, very fresh or fresh frozen, would be:

Trout, tilapia, salmon, catfish.
I love fish but I find Tilapia and catfish to taste muddy to me.Even when fresh.The only way I have enjoyed Talapia is in Sweet and Sour fish.it can stand up to the sweet.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Head Chef

Canned tuna is actually albacore, and fresh tuna, which needs to be cooked rare, would not be the same. Any fresh whitefish purchased from a good fish vendor will not smell or taste fishy.
If your girlfriend will not be turned off by whole fish, the Thai or Cambodian style sweet and sour is delicious, attractive, and not fishy at all. It is a bit of work to prepare, but the results are worth it.
I do not buy fish from the supermarket. It has all been frozen and "thawed for your convenience"
Basically, you are looking for a fresh whitefish. I have found some of the best at oriental markets.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
Head Chef

I will break it to you, Mike - you can't change your beloved, all you should do is discover your fiance, in morsel bits. Maybe it's not the "fishy taste," but rather its texture, its smell, its look, its haunting whale-song on a plate; maybe just the word fish is a nasty four-letter word, or that squid sounds way worse.

All I can suggest for you is shrimp. The next seafood step from canned tuna. Which most people love. And learn to appreciate: that not all seafood are the same.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

tilapia is a good un-fishy fish, but i just can't get past the idea of how some fish farmers feed them. (in case you've never heard, some farmers release tilapia into the poo filled ponds after striped bass or salmon are removed for sale. the tilapia feed on the poo, then are sold to fish mongers as well).

this isn't all farm raised tilapia, but the idea and uncertainty of it's origin just grosses me out too much to eat it. i know it's hypocritical as i love pork and they inadvertantly eat excrement, but for some reason it bothers me in fish.

on a more positive note: basa or swai are very good un-fishy fishes. they are types of river catfish native to asia, but are now being raised in the u.s..

as far as a good preparation for un-fishy fish, my wife makes an excellent dish of fish filets in (her version of) beurre blanc based on a recipe from a rachel ray cookbook. i searched but couldn't find it online.

still, you can't go wrong with a simple lemon, butter, and fresh parsley sauce to go with plain fish filets.

hth.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
Everymom

Seriously BT? That is GROSS!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, gross to the extreme, imo.

it's become somewhat of an urban legend after the practice was shown on an episode of "dirty jobs".

it's probably not so common to be worried about, but i keep thinking of what i have to clean out of my son's turtle/goldfish/minnow tank every month.

yucky-poopy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None