ISO of Fish Wellington.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Speaking of Wellington.

The posts about beef Wellington remind me of the question I had. A while ago I made salmon Wellington. Everybody loved it, except me. The recipe cold for leeks and onion to be included. I hate cooked onions, not that I am a big fan of the raw ones either. Does anybody have some different recipe or suggestions? What to replace it with. I did it without and it is just too dry.

Last edited:
Speaking of Wellington.

The posts about beef Wellington remind me of the question I had. A while ago I made salmon Wellington. Everybody loved it, except me. The recipe cold for leeks and onion to be included. I hate cooked onions, not that I am a big fan of the raw ones either. Does anybody have some different recipe or suggestions? What to replace it with. I did it without and it is just too dry.

Cut a pocket in the salmon and fill it with cream cheese & chives. Wrap it up in puff pastry & bake.

Another idea is to fill it with mushrooms Duxelle or creamed spinach & pine nuts. Just a thought.

I recall Emeril making one huge piece of salmon wrapped in puff pastry, and he carved out fish scales in the dough/pastry. Looked very impressive. You might try a search on Food Network.

Last edited:
That' s interesting. I like mushroom idea. But Not sure about the taste combination. For some reason in my head mushrooms go really well with meat, but not with fish. I should try this.

Thank you.

That' s interesting. I like mushroom idea. But Not sure about the taste combination. For some reason in my head mushrooms go really well with meat, but not with fish. I should try this.

Thank you.

Give it a go - play around w the idea. You could add some chopped/slivered almonds to the cream cheese/chive mixture.

Or, you could serve the mushroom duxelles on the side with creamed spinach.

Mushroom Duxelles

Cream cheese isn't going to work. Can't have dairy stuff. Couldn't find Emeril's recipe on Food network. It must have been old. ThougH, I think I remember it too.

What do you, people think of mushroom - fish combination? To me it sounds odd. Am I wrong? Do you think it's going to taste ok?

Also Amy, where did you find that picture?

How about some sauteed fennel?

sauteed red pepper strips maybe mixed with some sliced kalamatas?

a layer of sauteed spinach and tarragon? (you can't have dairy or I'd suggest goat cheese with the spinach or boursin, or...)

sauteed carrots and ginger?

some ideas to think about... :)

sauteed cabbage and corn?

"Isn't fennel in onion family?" - I don't think so.

hmmm, how about a gremolata (parsley, lemon zest and garlic)mixed with minced mushrooms? Oh, I'd like that with a salmon wellington. :)

I get the feeling I'm going to have to taste this.

Of course, unless somebody have done this in the past and has TNT recipe for me.

Blanched & Buttered Asparagus.

That's my last suggestion. I'm running out of colors. :LOL:;)

Oops, I forgot no dairy. Omit the butter & use lemon juice/chicken broth s&p.

How about a side of Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes?

Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes

Last edited:
Actually I went back to Food TV and founf Emeril's recipe. Was not really something I'd like or even care to try. Just wondering where did that pictue go Amy posted? Maybe I can try to use fake cream cheese.

This a lobster wellington and you would need to find an alternate to the butter but it looked good on tv.
Ready Steady Cook

Standard mushrooms and salmon don't do anything for me personally. Maybe those long and skinny mushrooms (oyster?), just not the earthy varieties. A champignon would be okay. Pineapple and tomato go very well with salmon as well.

How do you go with puff pastry if you aren't going to mix meat and dairy?

Ok, I hate my computer. I just typed this message and then I lost everything.

Ok try it again.

I end up making salmon and using mushrooms, just like in the meat recipe. It end up being pretty nice combination in spite or is it despite my worries. The only thing I over baked it. I baked for about 25-30 minutes, but 15-20 minutes would have been enough. Also I did not do a very good job with scales. Oh, well, there is always next time.

Ok, how do I add a picture here?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom