"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Executive Chef

It appears that this has become a general discussion topic about various ways to cook shrimp and pasta, since the OP is probably lone gone...

I have a suggestion for those who want or like a shrimp and pasta with a tomato sauce, and also for those who may not have enjoyed such a recipe to whom I suggest you should try this and see if it doesn't change your mind about shrimp and tomato sauce.

Shrimp Fra Diavolo

From Wikipedia: Fra Diavolo (Italian for "Brother Devil") is the name given to a spicy sauce for pasta or seafood. Most versions are tomato-based and use chili peppers for spice, but the term is also used for sauces that include no tomato, or that use cayenne or other forms of pepper. According to chef Mario Batali, the spicy sauce is an Italian-American creation and is rarely served in Italy.

I Googled shrimp diavolo recipes and the very first one I found looked good, from Food Network:

Ingredients

• 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined
  • 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional as needed
  • 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 3 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
  • 3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
Method

Shrimp Fra Diavolo recipe at Food Network by Giada De Laurentis

Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Here's another one that looks good, from Emeril Lagasse:

1 pound linguine
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup small diced onion
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for pasta water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, optional

Shrimp and Linguine Fra Diavolo Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
ah hah,of course cerise,you're right......voddy....nice one!!.i always keep a bottle in my freezer
Would you put a little Grey Goose in there for me, H? There's no room in my freezer. lol La Chaim.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #24
Head Chef

Another Fra Diavolo goodie

Recipe Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Penne Rigate - Barilla
Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Those recipes look lovely Greg, thanks for sharing
Old 07-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Would you put a little Grey Goose in there for me, H? There's no room in my freezer. lol La Chaim.
mazel tov C...your grey goose is in my freezer as we speak,cuddled up to my zubrowka bison grass voddy!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I've made this several times:

Recipe Details

I tossed it with pasta instead of serving it as an appetizer. I also used some fresh tomatoes from the garden. I find it quite tasty.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

kads, this isn't what i'd call a recipe as it's too simple where you just make a sauce then toss in the shellfish, so i'll just post it here.

in a deep saute, brown a small diced onion in evoo over medium heat in grapeseed oil, then add a heaping tbsp. of minced garlic in the middle and a little more oil directly on it. toast the garlic for just a minute, then add a 28 oz. can of crushed san marzano tomatoes (or whole peeled tomatoes that you crush by hand as you put them in). add a pinch each of dried oregano and parsley, and a tsp of dried red pepper flakes and a pinch of ground cayenne pepper (more if you like it hotter). let it simmer, stirring frequently, for a good 20 minutes until the sauce is getting pretty thick.

add a half pound of peeled, deveined shrimp, and a half pound of bay scallops, stir into sauce and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. add 5 large fresh basil leaves that are torn up, cover saute pan, and turn off the heat.

while the shrimp and scallops are cooking through from the residual heat, prepare a box of angel hair pasta, put pasta on a serving plate or bowl, ladle the shrimp, scallops and sauce over the pasta making a sort of well in the middle, then top with 6 ozs. or so of lump crab meat. sprinkle a little chopped basil over top and serve.

there you have it: shrimp, scallops, and crab fra diavolo a la buckytom.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
kads, this isn't what i'd call a recipe as it's too simple where you just make a sauce then toss in the shellfish, so i'll just post it here.

in a deep saute, brown a small diced onion in evoo over medium heat in grapeseed oil, then add a heaping tbsp. of minced garlic in the middle and a little more oil directly on it. toast the garlic for just a minute, then add a 28 oz. can of crushed san marzano tomatoes (or whole peeled tomatoes that you crush by hand as you put them in). add a pinch each of dried oregano and parsley, and a tsp of dried red pepper flakes and a pinch of ground cayenne pepper (more if you like it hotter). let it simmer, stirring frequently, for a good 20 minutes until the sauce is getting pretty thick.

add a half pound of peeled, deveined shrimp, and a half pound of bay scallops, stir into sauce and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. add 5 large fresh basil leaves that are torn up, cover saute pan, and turn off the heat.

while the shrimp and scallops are cooking through from the residual heat, prepare a box of angel hair pasta, put pasta on a serving plate or bowl, ladle the shrimp, scallops and sauce over the pasta making a sort of well in the middle, then top with 6 ozs. or so of lump crab meat. sprinkle a little chopped basil over top and serve.

there you have it: shrimp, scallops, and crab fra diavolo a la buckytom.
sounds deelish tom but you need to be careful with crabs......they've gotta be up to scratch...........!!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds pretty good Tom

Tags
None