"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Pasta and Shrimp

Anybody out there have a good recipe involving pasta (any kind) and shrimp?

I'm hoping someone has a good one that involves tomato sauce and the shrimp, if something like that exists out there. Also, (not that it really matters) I currently have in my pantry penne, whole wheat spaghetti, and tri-color rotini.

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Head Chef

just a saute of shrimp with olive oil, garlic and shallots, with pasta is very yummy. you can add some tomato sauce and red chili flakes, too

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

I 2nd Wyogal's suggestion, although the only time I usually use tomato sauce with shrimp is when I make Shrimp Parmagian.

My only suggestion would be to use the penne or the spaghetti, as the colors of the rotini will just get lost in a tomato-sauce treatment.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Head Chef

yeah, I'm not a fan of shrimp and tomato sauce. I would rather just add some white wine (or chicken stock) to the shrimp at the end of the saute, just a little; a little bit of the pasta water added helps to thicken it.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Wyogal:

I was considering sautee'ing the shrimp with garlic and then adding it to the tomato sauce.

Can you expand on the white wine/chicken stock idea?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
yeah, I'm not a fan of shrimp and tomato sauce.
Ah, but apart from Shrimp Parmagian, one other way I do enjoy shrimp with tomato sauce is when they're really nice large JUMBO shrimp, beautifully butterflied, &, with a thick robust tomato sauce, liberally infused with lots of crushed red pepper flakes, they make a fantastic Shrimp Fra Diablo. (Is it "Diablo" or "Diavolo"? I've seen it spelled both ways depending on the source.)
Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Head Chef

saute the shrimp, when partway done (goes fast) add some finely diced garlic and shallots (or onion), keep sauteing, then at the end just add a splash or so of white wine to deglaze the pan. If you do it in a big pan, then you can add your pasta to the pan, with just a little of the pasta water, toss. Makes its own sauce.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I agree with Wyogal. I'm not a fan of shrimp and tomato spaghetti sauce. Shrimp and other tomotato-based sauces work OK, but with penne pasta, sauteeing the shrimp in butter AND olive oil and then adding cream and pasta water, garlic and a tiny dash of cayenne to make a sauce, and finishing with a splash of white wine... Ummmm!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
Master Chef

With the help of my son who, at the time, worked at an Italian restaurant, I made a seafood/pasta dish for my youngest daughter and her husband for their wedding meal. It consisted of a rich tomato sauce with perfectly cooked fresh mussels, clams, and butterflied jumbo shrimp, all over al-dente' linguine. The clams and mussels were steamed until just done. The shrimp were sauteed in butter and garlic until just pink. All seafood was removed from the heat immediately and shocked in an ice bath to halt the cooking. They were then added to the tomato sauce and ladled over the linguini and dressed with freshly grated Parmesano Regiano cheese. I don't think any wine was used, but am not certain. If any was, it would have been a dry, white wine, and not very much.

The dish was my son-in-law's favorite meal, as it turned out. We didn't know that before we made it. Inspiration or a darned lucky guess would be my thought.

I do know that the combination of clams, mussels, and shrimp go very well together. Just don't cook the seafood in the sauce. It should have its own flavor. And don't make the tomato sauce sweet. Basil, Oregano, rosemary, garlic, and onion were the primary flavorings in the tomato sauce, with the onion coming from chunks of sauteed onion. I would think that green pepper would be good as well.

Hope that gives you some inspiration.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
Master Chef

I made a mistake. The sauce wasn't tomato based. Rather, it was a simple Alfredo Sauce made with cream and Parmesano Regiano cheese. Sorry 'bout that.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None