ISO Pasta and Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SubwayScriptures

Assistant Cook
Anybody out there have a good recipe involving pasta (any kind) and shrimp?

I'm hoping someone has a good one that involves tomato sauce and the shrimp, if something like that exists out there. Also, (not that it really matters) I currently have in my pantry penne, whole wheat spaghetti, and tri-color rotini.

Thanks!

just a saute of shrimp with olive oil, garlic and shallots, with pasta is very yummy. you can add some tomato sauce and red chili flakes, too

I 2nd Wyogal's suggestion, although the only time I usually use tomato sauce with shrimp is when I make Shrimp Parmagian.

My only suggestion would be to use the penne or the spaghetti, as the colors of the rotini will just get lost in a tomato-sauce treatment.

yeah, I'm not a fan of shrimp and tomato sauce. I would rather just add some white wine (or chicken stock) to the shrimp at the end of the saute, just a little; a little bit of the pasta water added helps to thicken it.

Wyogal:

I was considering sautee'ing the shrimp with garlic and then adding it to the tomato sauce.

Can you expand on the white wine/chicken stock idea?

yeah, I'm not a fan of shrimp and tomato sauce.

Ah, but apart from Shrimp Parmagian, one other way I do enjoy shrimp with tomato sauce is when they're really nice large JUMBO shrimp, beautifully butterflied, &, with a thick robust tomato sauce, liberally infused with lots of crushed red pepper flakes, they make a fantastic Shrimp Fra Diablo. (Is it "Diablo" or "Diavolo"? I've seen it spelled both ways depending on the source.)

saute the shrimp, when partway done (goes fast) add some finely diced garlic and shallots (or onion), keep sauteing, then at the end just add a splash or so of white wine to deglaze the pan. If you do it in a big pan, then you can add your pasta to the pan, with just a little of the pasta water, toss. Makes its own sauce.

I agree with Wyogal. I'm not a fan of shrimp and tomato spaghetti sauce. Shrimp and other tomotato-based sauces work OK, but with penne pasta, sauteeing the shrimp in butter AND olive oil and then adding cream and pasta water, garlic and a tiny dash of cayenne to make a sauce, and finishing with a splash of white wine... Ummmm!!!

With the help of my son who, at the time, worked at an Italian restaurant, I made a seafood/pasta dish for my youngest daughter and her husband for their wedding meal. It consisted of a rich tomato sauce with perfectly cooked fresh mussels, clams, and butterflied jumbo shrimp, all over al-dente' linguine. The clams and mussels were steamed until just done. The shrimp were sauteed in butter and garlic until just pink. All seafood was removed from the heat immediately and shocked in an ice bath to halt the cooking. They were then added to the tomato sauce and ladled over the linguini and dressed with freshly grated Parmesano Regiano cheese. I don't think any wine was used, but am not certain. If any was, it would have been a dry, white wine, and not very much.

The dish was my son-in-law's favorite meal, as it turned out. We didn't know that before we made it. Inspiration or a darned lucky guess would be my thought.

I do know that the combination of clams, mussels, and shrimp go very well together. Just don't cook the seafood in the sauce. It should have its own flavor. And don't make the tomato sauce sweet. Basil, Oregano, rosemary, garlic, and onion were the primary flavorings in the tomato sauce, with the onion coming from chunks of sauteed onion. I would think that green pepper would be good as well.

Hope that gives you some inspiration.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I made a mistake. The sauce wasn't tomato based. Rather, it was a simple Alfredo Sauce made with cream and Parmesano Regiano cheese. Sorry 'bout that.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

my favorite way

saute garlic and onions, add shrimp, chix broth, or seafood stock, lemon juice and lemon zest and add fettcini or linguine. pinch of hot pepper flakes. sometimes i add lil white wine, salt and pepper

Pasta Section & Ethnic Section

There are uncountable Pasta recipes in the Pasta Section combining both a variety of pastas, short and ribbon style as well as home made and tortellini, ravioli and lasagnes utilizing Shellfish, shrimp, mussels etcetra ...

A San Francisco Cioppino can be quite lovely, or a Shrimp Scampi, which I had posted during the spring 2012 ...

Have a lovely Wednesday,
Ciao, Margi Cintrano :)

Anybody out there have a good recipe involving pasta (any kind) and shrimp?

I'm hoping someone has a good one that involves tomato sauce and the shrimp, if something like that exists out there. Also, (not that it really matters) I currently have in my pantry penne, whole wheat spaghetti, and tri-color rotini.

Thanks!
here's one i prepared earlier:LOL:!!.cook your pasta al dente,drain then mix in a little evoo to prevent the pasta sticking while you cook the shrimp.sweat some garlic & chilli in some evoo,chuck in some cherry tomatoes,wait til they pop,add some torn basil,ground black pepper & your shrimp,cook,toss your pasta back in the tomato/shrimp mix to reheat it.done,simple as that,enjoy:yum:! i used mixed seafood,wine & saffron but the principle is the same.would work with any of the pasta you have got

Attachments

• SEAFOOD FETTUCINE FINALE 001.jpg
    SEAFOOD FETTUCINE FINALE 001.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I tried, with a tomato sauce for pasta, but I really didn't like the outcome. In my personal taste these two flavors don't mix well.
But you can try! :)
with you on that one buddy,IMO rosemary can be a "bully boy" flavour sometimes.on the other hand scallops & fresh sage can work if you've got a light touch:yum:,but not in a tomato sauce either IMO

Last edited:
Got Vodka? ;)

Add your cooked shrimp, cooked crumbled bacon, & cooked penne to Tomato-Vodka sauce.

Bloody Mary shrimp cocktail.

If you have fresh tomatoes, you can make gazpacho w/ shrimp, or a crab & shrimp louis salad.

Got Vodka? ;)

Add your cooked shrimp, cooked crumbled bacon, & cooked penne to Tomato-Vodka sauce.

Bloody Mary shrimp cocktail.

If you have fresh tomatoes, you can make gazpacho w/ shrimp, or a crab & shrimp louis salad.
ah hah,of course cerise,you're right......voddy....nice one:cool:!!.i always keep a bottle in my freezer

Last edited:
Friends this is an old THREAD from 2009 and many of the then members are NOT members any more. Why not post you recipe if there is one in the correct forum. That way it will be here if anyone wants to make a copy!!!
kadesma

Sear shrimp in a pan but don't cook them through, remove and deglaze with 1/4 cup water, remove brown bits and reduce water until it's a thick paste. Add marinara sauce and mix with the pan contents. Add shrimp and simmer 1-2 minutes until just done and toss quickly with pasta and serve with basil.

But that's just what I'd do.

And I know someone's going to suggest wine/spirits/whatever instead of water but the marinara (that I use, I've posted the recipe) already has a balanced flavor profile and adding wine just upsets that balance. The water is there solely to remove the brown bits from the bottom of the pan to add more crusty shrimp flavor to the sauce.

I purchase unpeeled, easy- peel shrimp so that I can use the shells to make a flavorful broth that is then easily made into a sauce for pasta, or whatever I need a shrimp flavored broth for. You could even use the broth to cook the pasta in, if you salt it just a bit. That would certainly enhance the pasta flavor.

But then again, you could use it to make a lovely aspic with a bit of tomato and horseradish mixed in, to use as a dressing for the pasta and shrimp, like shrimp cocktail. And now that I think about it, what would be wrong with making the linquini, adding shrimp, sweated onion, a bit of red bell pepper, a light sprinkling of grated Parmigiano Regiano, and some shrimp cocktail sauce?

That would taste pretty good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom