"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Adventurous? Just not a part of my upbringing, and let me say, knowing now the different kinds available, mom had her hands full coming up with ideas every night. We didn't eat out very often and only brought home pizza once in a blue moon, usually in summer when the kitchen was too hot (no A/C back then).
As an adult and having been married to two very different, but finicky eaters, I couldn't haven't gotten away with it either.
They each wanted to see what they were eating so they could pick it apart.
Being on my own since about '89, I have increased my repitoire 10 fold, but still haven't found the need, or desire.
No offense given or taken.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
Here is my quick & easy way to make it - I don't make it very often (like once year when my hubby is out of town, he hates tuna casserole!)

bag of potato chips
can of tuna, drained
cream of mushroom soup
milk
cheddar
Ppreheat oven to 375. In a small casserole dish or pie plate, spray with Pam spray. Crush up enough potato chips to cover the bottom of the pan sprinkle half the tuna ontop of it and make another potato/tuna layer, ending with a potato chip layer on top. Wisk cream of mushroom soup and one can of milk together in a small bowl. Pour ontop of casserole. Sprinkle cheddar on top (however much you want) and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

probably serves 3-4 but I eat it all. oink, oink.
Oh, Toots, that is almost exactly like a casserole we ate when I was a child. It was called "California Chicken," but I have no idea why. As I recall it was very good.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

haven made one in a very long time. the one i had was very simple, cooked elbow mac, can of tuna, cream of mush. soup. mix all together. then add grated cheese, your choice, stir it in tuna mixture. cover top with buttered cracker crumbs and heat til brown and bubbly some people put peas in but i never did. did have green veg. with it though.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Thumbs up Tuna-Noodle Casserole

============================
TUNA-NOODLE CASSEROLE

Ingredients:

2 cups egg noodles
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 Tbsp butter
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
3/4 cup whole milk
1 can tuna, drained (12 oz. can)
1 cup grated Parmesan
salt & pepper to taste
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven to 375.

Cook egg noodles for 6 minutes. Add frozen peas during last 3 minutes. Drain and set aside in a mixing bowl.

In a skillet, cook onions and celery in butter over MED heat until tender. Stir in soup and milk. Stir in tuna, salt, and pepper.

Add tuna mixture to noodle mixture in mixing bowl. Mix and add to ungreased 3 quart casserole dish.

Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
===========================

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Adventurous? Just not a part of my upbringing, and let me say, knowing now the different kinds available, mom had her hands full coming up with ideas every night. We didn't eat out very often and only brought home pizza once in a blue moon, usually in summer when the kitchen was too hot (no A/C back then).
As an adult and having been married to two very different, but finicky eaters, I couldn't haven't gotten away with it either.
They each wanted to see what they were eating so they could pick it apart.
Being on my own since about '89, I have increased my repitoire 10 fold, but still haven't found the need, or desire.
No offense given or taken.
It is sometimes hard for me to eat a casserole because of what is in it. I have to make it myself because then I know what I put in it. I am not crazy about all my food being mashed together. But, I will make them - and sometimes try them if I know what they consist of. I do not eat alot of veggies (cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, corn, brussel sprouts - sometimes, cauliflower - sometimes). I cannot stand peas - the smell makes me gag - and alot of casserole call for this. I do not like corn in with something unless I am scooping it up with some mashed potatoes and meatloaf - but even then I usually have it in it's separate dish.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Head Chef

I use the basic recipe, egg noodles, 2 cans/ tuna, 1 can cream /mushroom soup, 1 can cream of celery soup, milk, chopped onions, cheese. Not a fan of 'peas' so I never add them to anything.

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
Cook

I like to put slices of hard-boiled eggs on top, they go really well with the cream of mushroom soup (or other soup) you are using. If you want the dish to be healthier, try using whole wheat pasta, to me, they taste good and wholesome!

~Saraaa

Tags
None