"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-21-2006, 05:49 AM   #11
Sous Chef

If you do use fresh tuna, please oh please do not cook it past medium-rare! The rarer the better.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni
This is great guys, I have a huge 2000g tin of tuna and I have been wondering what to do with it. I friend working in a restaurant was given the tin when the new stock arrived and being single and not liking tuna, she gave it to me.
Hya, we also bought a huge tin some time ago, we divided in portions, packed each portions tightly and froze them. They work fine if you are going to cook with them! (we haven't tried them on salad, though...)

Old 02-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #13
Head Chef

This is an old stand by that I grew up with. In fact had it so much as a kid didn't eat it for a long time. Love the pouch tuna that is out today instead of the canned.
Cook one pk of wide or med egg noodles, drain. In bowl add one lg pouch flaked tuna, 1 chopped med onion, Mix in1 can cream of mushroom soup, 3/4 same can of milk that have been mixed together. Blend in with Tuna and onion. Add 2 cups of frozen peas.Mix this in with the cooked noodles. Pour this in a pam sprayed casserole dish. Top with crushed potato chips and bake at 350 for about 1/2 hr or until bubbly hot.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I mmix it with spicy mustard, or yellow mustard, occasional parsley/black pepper. put it in half a pita, and usually mix in some lettuce. delicious to me.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
Master Chef

Auntieshelly, the antipasto tuna salad sounds delicious. That's going to be on the menu soon!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I love tuna myself, preferably fresh, although I'll use canned. If it's fresh, it's grilled, blackened, or coated with sesame seeds and sauteed. All three methods are cooked to medium, or less.

For the canned stuff, I like to use it for tuna salad, tuna patties, tuna-noodle casserole, or sometimes, I'll drop a can into a batch of mac-n-cheese.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
Sous Chef

For a change to the regular old tuna mayo sandwich, try mixing the tuna from a can of solid packed tuna (flaked) (econmical - you get more per $, I think)
with :
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
little pieces of fresh basil
salt / freshly ground black pepper
thinly sliced red onion (or put the onion on top of the sandwich/salad)

Serve on a sandwich or on a bed of lettuce with slices of roasted red pepper, quartered hard boiled egg, fresh tomato and red & green peppers.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
My wife makes Tuna Cakes. She just substituted crab for tuna in her favorite crab cake recipe. It's actually quite good. BTW, canned tuna goes well with curry powder, even on a sandwich
Old 04-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
You can also use tuna cans with some capers and rosmarin and fennel seeds, as sauce for pasta, adding some evoo.
Tuna is also good for a sauce for veal. You can put in a mixer with boiled potatoes, a couple of eggs, some capers, minced bread (or not), winding it up in oven paper and boiling it again, serving with mayonnayse...
But the best way in absolute is FRESH tuna (a cube 8x8x8), just hotted outside like a fillet, with peeled ginger and some soya sauce.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #20
Master Chef

This is one of my favorite quick pasta sauces that use canned tuna:

1-2 cans of tuna packed in oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons capers
Extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Crushed red hot pepper flakes
Italian-seasoned dry breadcrumbs
Italian flat-leaf parsley
fresh parmesan cheese
1/2 to 1 lb. of spaghetti or favorite long pasta of choice

Heat tuna, a few dollops of olive oil, capers, chicken broth, red pepper flakes, & lemon juice. Cook down a bit to consistency of choice. Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente consistency. Drain & toss with tuna mixture. Add breadcrumbs to taste to help sauce stick to pasta. Serve topped with chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley & grated fresh parmesan cheese.

Tags
None